Quote Originally Posted by jahrasta View Post
First and foremost. JSalyer, Great posts. Some of the more intelligent posts and responses I've seen. Anyhow, This may be a stupid question, but I've seen this mentioned in more than one place now. Why is the snorkel considered for show on a V8? Does it not have any practical use? Is it mainly considered for diesel because of the additional intake help from a turbo setup? Otherwise the V8 has to work quit a bit harder and get air....? Just wondering, as it seems outside of some slight loss of performance, it would still keep the intake free of water. Thanks, keep those posts coming!
I dont know Mr JSlayer's reasoning for calling snorkles on V8's "show" but if they are hooked up correctly the will prevent hydro-locking the engine should you wade too deep. Your ECU and other electrical equipment may be fried but at least your internal moving engine parts will be free from damage (hopefully).

There are a lot of factors in fording deep water, for both petrol and diesel, besides just having a snorkel.