Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LIFTS-copied from the RR classic page

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoRover
    Question - I have had the OME HD setup for a year now and I just purchased some 265/75 m/t and took a little trip off-road and I had major rubbing in the rear, I had trimmed and extended the rear fender thinking I would avoid the whole rubbing issue, but I hit the wheel arch where my rear door is, cut my new tires up a little will extended bump stops cure my problem? Spring Spacers? body lift?
    This is really strange because the way the suspension is setup it as the axle goes up it also gets pushed slightly to the rear so if it's hitting by the door then something does not seem right it should be hitting at the rear of the wheel well.

As for all the others with 265/75's you will still rub even with heavy springs and spacers if you do any serious off roading and you don't trim your rear quarter panels. It does not look bad just do it before you tear up your rear quarter off roading and need to do body work. Unless you never do any off roading in which case don't worry about it.

The cut out is pretty easy if you have a dremel or something similar. I just backed up onto a curb and then taped off a straight line from 0-2" in line with the wheel well and cut along the edge of the tape.

Yes, I trimmed the rear part almost like that and I extended it out with a
    1/1 square tube so that parts alright, I masked off a the part that was rubbing (where the door is) and trimmed it, I might just trim the whole thing because it looks hacked

But what would cause the rear to hit the fender by the door? Like this wasnt no little rubbing, Its like my tire would tuck and then it would bend the metal outwards and slice into my tires every single time i hit a bump

It did the same thing on both sides, worse on the right though

I am not no hard core rock crawlin rover dude, I have been off-road a few times, I am part of a club and we have like 4 events every year, plus the times I go with just a few people, but it wasnt untill i got my steel wheels and M/T's that this started to happen....

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoRover
    I am not no hard core rock crawlin rover dude, I have been off-road a few times, I am part of a club and we have like 4 events every year, plus the times I go with just a few people, but it wasnt untill i got my steel wheels and M/T's that this started to happen....
    I can't speak for all Disco I's but on mine I have plenty of room in front. Is anything bent at the rear Arm? trailing arms?

The only other thing I can think of is and this is just theory I have nothing factual to base this on. Since you said it started with you new steel wheels. I think you mentioned that you have 265/75 tires. If you bought the American Racing Steels they have a smaller offset then the stock wheels. I think it's about 3/4" to maybe an 1" this would give you a slightly wider stance couple this with the wider tires and you might have an issue. Just an idea. If you have any car ramps what I did to test fex is put one under the front passenger side and one under the drivers rear side. I also incorporated a 6" curbe into this and then drive on them. This should push your rear wheel pretty far into the wheel well so you can see what it's doing.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by JSalyer
    LIFTS

8. Snorkel- all US spec Coil Rovers are V-8s, so the snorkel is for show only(some will say cold air induction/dust), dont worry I have one too, it looks cool!!
    First and foremost. JSalyer, Great posts. Some of the more intelligent posts and responses I've seen. Anyhow, This may be a stupid question, but I've seen this mentioned in more than one place now. Why is the snorkel considered for show on a V8? Does it not have any practical use? Is it mainly considered for diesel because of the additional intake help from a turbo setup? Otherwise the V8 has to work quit a bit harder and get air....? Just wondering, as it seems outside of some slight loss of performance, it would still keep the intake free of water. Thanks, keep those posts coming!
    Last edited by jahrasta; 09-18-2007 at 06:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jahrasta View Post
    First and foremost. JSalyer, Great posts. Some of the more intelligent posts and responses I've seen. Anyhow, This may be a stupid question, but I've seen this mentioned in more than one place now. Why is the snorkel considered for show on a V8? Does it not have any practical use? Is it mainly considered for diesel because of the additional intake help from a turbo setup? Otherwise the V8 has to work quit a bit harder and get air....? Just wondering, as it seems outside of some slight loss of performance, it would still keep the intake free of water. Thanks, keep those posts coming!
    I dont know Mr JSlayer's reasoning for calling snorkles on V8's "show" but if they are hooked up correctly the will prevent hydro-locking the engine should you wade too deep. Your ECU and other electrical equipment may be fried but at least your internal moving engine parts will be free from damage (hopefully).

There are a lot of factors in fording deep water, for both petrol and diesel, besides just having a snorkel.
    First but gone: 91 3 door Disco "White Rhino"
    77 Series III 88 ex MoD "Shongololo"
    Gone and I miss her: 97 D1 5 speed
    04 DII
    08 D3 (LR3)