Thread: How big is Ontario?

Question How big is Ontario?

If you dropped Texas on the un-expecting people of Northwestern Ontario would anyone notice? I mean sure the people who lived there would, but the population there is sparse. Dropping the whole state of Texas onto NW Ontario would squish no more people than if you took out only 1 square km of Monaco.

I think what would give it away would be the mad rush on parkas and space heaters at ThunderBay's Walmart in the middle of July.

Neat.....

Here's a geographic factoid....

Where I live in Tennessee is right at the Virginia state line, in the northeast corner of the state. Although there's a mental image of Canada being far away, what is interesting is that Windsor is actually closer to here than Memphis, on the opposite end of the state.
    -L

'72 SIII SW 88"
    '60 SII 88" RHD

Default Distances

From your place to mine, 10 hour (that's only a few miles farther than Windsor, just when you hit the lake turn right instead of left, when you get here we'll go for a beer) ... my place to Florida 16.5 hours (I've done it just under 14 to Jacksonville)... Niagara Falls to Thunder Bay, ON, 17 hours 10 minutes (actually that trip took an extra 15 minutes, I had to go back to where the moose was and wake up the Mrs. to show it to her).

Here is a trivia question... how many states have locations farther north than the southern most point of Canada?

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Turnbull
    Here is a trivia question... how many states have locations farther north than the southern most point of Canada?
    The 42nd northern parallel is close to the limit, there's a bit of hard land further south, and into Erie, there's Pelee Island, or some of the little ones around it, would be the most southern point for Canada, right?

Alaska and Maine, obviously since parts of Canada are further south than their most southern points... and now that I think about it, Vermont and New Hampshire too, and even Wisconsin; and every state along the border between Juan de Fuca and Superior (Washington, Idaho, Montana, North Dakota, and Minnesota); Michigan, New York, Massachusetts, Connecticut and Rhode Island; Pennsylvania makes it there at Erie; South Dakota, Iowa, and Illinois; Colorado and Oregon; I don't think New Jersey makes it, but Ohio is really close but it looks like the northern edge of Toledo makes it as far as the southern edge of Pelee...and Indiana gets a tad further north of Ohio. Nebraska gets about the 42nd; the northern boundary of California, Nevada, and Utah are the 42nd, so they get above Colchester too....

So, the way I count, that'd be twenty-seven, thanks to the piece that hangs south between Hamilton and Port Huron.... that piece picks up 10 of 'em....
    -L

'72 SIII SW 88"
    '60 SII 88" RHD

PS: Unless, of course, Pelee isn't the southernmost point..... if Canada has a territory, like an island that I don't know about (their equivalent of the Falklands, etc....)
    -L

'72 SIII SW 88"
    '60 SII 88" RHD

Default Middle Island

27 is correct... Pelee Island is the southern most inhabited point (nice spot to kick back and watch the sun set and to look for glacial striations in the bedrock) how ever there is a small island we own just the south of Pelee, Middle Island. It use to have a light house on it, but now it is just a bird sanctuary or something.

4141'N is as low as we go.

From Pelee Island, you can catch the fairy to Sandusky and ride the roller coasters all afternoon... Any Roller-coaster fans out there?

Rod

NC is similar to TN in that it's long and relatively thin. To think that these two states take you from the Atlantic to the Missisippi river gives you an idea of there length. NC isn't quite as long as TN but I can drive to Staton Is NY in about the same time (traffic permitting) as it takes me to drive to Newport TN (just over the state line).
    64 IIa 88
    94 Discovery
    06 Toyota 4R (DD)

~Matt
    --------------------------------------------
    "Not all who wander are lost"~Tolkein

Default Ontario

Well, from Portsmouth, VA to Richmond Ontario is an 11 hour straight through drive. We have made it numerous times for Dog shows and breeding.
    Jim Wolf
    Elvenwood.com