Hope I am doing this right....sorry if I am not. I am new to Land Rovers but have always loved them. Especially the series II and IIa long wheel base. Since a little kid I loved them in the zebra paint sceme with huge basket roof racks. I finally got one and want it to be a daily driver. Some of my former cars that were daily drivers were a Willyswagon with a Mercedes 240D engine and a 61 IH crew cab utility truck with a perkins 354 turbo Diesel. I'm not new to converting over old junk. I am a toolmaker with alot of fabrication experience and had full plans on building the adapters to put a mercedes 240D engine in the rover. After some net searching I found info about what other people have done and found someone who was selling a already made kit. I bought the engine, trans, with all the special adapters and mounts etc for $600. The man I bought it from is not a toolmaker but his work was EXCELLENT. The engine he gave me was a really old 190, 200 or 220D motor. only good for about 55HP. I had a 82 240D motor sitting around that is rated for 67HP, much better. Mercdes makes things very universal and all the old 60-70s stuff workes on the newer 80's stuff. it literally took me 4 hours to put the 240 motor on the tranny in place of the old motor. The rover works great, slow like a 240D but great. in the pictures the motor is a bit dirty and the wires and hoses are a bit of a mess. it's still a work in progress. I have only been driving it for about 10 days now. My wife is a good artist and painted it in the zebra paint sceme with 8 cans of flat white and 6 cans of flat black, all freehand, in about 5 hours. Next on my list is a roofrack. I am making my own out of a old truck latter rack that is perfact in size. thanks,
Stephen willyswagon@hotmail.com