Thread: Starter Motor

Question Starter Motor

I have a 2000 Land Rover Discovery II.

Today when I went to start it, it just made a loud clicking noise. I am pretty sure it's the starter - has anyone replaced the starter? What did you spend on it? I was looking it up and it doesn't seem like something we can do in our own garage.

So far the 3 amigo's have been on for miles, but other than that this car has been a champ!

Default Just started...

What is going on?? It was a hard start - like a little crank - but then it started up. Now I am afraid to go anywhere in it because I am afraid it won't start again?

Would it start at all if the starter was bad?

Are you sure it's not the battery?

Pulling the starter should be no problem if you have basic tools, i.e. sockets and extensions.
    71 IIa 88
    01 D2

Default Maybe it is the battery?

You know it's only been 4 years since I got a nice one at Sears so I didn't think it was that at all but it has been 4 years?

I am going to check that first because now the first start after it sits for a while is a hard start. And then it's fine.

I hope!

Default Heres a video of it starting now...

Maybe it's only the battery? I'll find out later tonight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQIY7tN4O64

00 D2

I replaced one two month ago - Denso.
    http://www.mysaab900.com/gallery/Dis..._2000/starter/

Denso starter feels stronger than a stock Borsch starter.

It was done in three hours.

Good luck!
    Disco II, 2000, 90K mi, Northern NJ - http://www.mysaab900.com/gallery/Discovery_2000/

Just did mine 2000 Disco II last Wed.

Took about an hour. Need an 8mm Allen bit on a socket to make it WAY more convenient. If you have the Rave CD download, the directions are perfect except I did it without dropping the front pipe and just worked it out around the front suspension.

Kh500's pictures should help a lot.

Good luck and PM if I can offer any further help.
    Grant