Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Proline parts

Quote Originally Posted by yorker
    So- what are you stock piling up on?
    In my case I have bushings, bearings & clips for two complete transfer case rebuilds plus a couple extra intermediate shaft bushings & spacers. I also have an assortment of speedo housing spacer shims, spare ignition/headlamp switch plus a few other offs & ends. Over the last few years I have been replacing worn but servicable parts with new genuine parts just to bring up the overall vehicel condition in the hopes the new parts last another 45 or more years like the ones they replaced have. I just recently replaced a few body panels with new genune LR panels. The genuine LR body panels are stonger and more dent resistant than the current crop of after market panels.

My Dormobile is powered by a Ford 302, has a Borg Warner T-18 gearbox tied to a Series transfercase with Ashcroft high ratio kit installed. If I still had a Series gearbox, I would have stocked up on special internal bits and spare new clutch linkage bits.

If a part of good quality is available OEM or aftermarket, I don't worry about it. I'm mostly concerned about those special parts that occasionally wear out, are not available aftermarket and when sourced used are likely to be well worn. There are a number of special bits in LR gearboxes & transfercases.

Personally,

I am going to try and stock up on more Land Rovers. That way, by the time I get them all fixed, I will have plenty of new parts lying around.

Every time I rebuild a Rover, I seem to end up with more parts than I started with...
    61 II 109" Pickup (Restomod, 350 small block, TR4050)
    66 IIA 88" Station Wagon (sold)
    66 IIA 109" Pickup (Restomod, 5MGE, R380)
    67 IIA 109" NADA Wagon (sold)
    88, 2.5TD 110 RHD non-hicap pickup

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.