Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Series coiler on a Disco

Default Series coiler on a Disco

I think that I have been bitten by the hybrid bug. I'd like to put a coil chassis under my Series III 88 and I am exploring the cut down chassis route. It seems like everyone is using Range Rover chassis' for this. Is there any reason that I couldn't use a Discovery chassis instead? Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks - Jeremy

No reason, it's just that there were more Rangies out there earlier.... basically, the Rangie came out in '70 (came to the US in '87), whereas the Disco came out in '89 (came to the US in '94) so, Rangies have been used longer. The chassis main rails, etc., are mostly the same. You're still going to have to mount the outriggers for the bulkhead, add a rear crossmember and fab some other mounts for attaching the rear tub to the chassis, etc.

Go for it!
    -L

'72 SIII SW 88"
    '60 SII 88" RHD

No reason it won't work. Use what you have.
    Very satisfying work!
    Please post photos when you get started.

here is my disco cut down to 88"

Good start to the project.
    Be cautius when you mount the fuel tank, you may find that the RH rear radius arm fouls the 88" fuel tank.
    I see you have removed the bulkhead and body out riggers ready to weld on the Series type.
    Keep us posted.
    Are you going 5 speed or Auto ?

Right now I am not planning on running the stock rover fuel tanks....these details are still evolving.

Quote Originally Posted by Les Parker View Post
    Good start to the project.
    Be cautius when you mount the fuel tank, you may find that the RH rear radius arm fouls the 88" fuel tank.
    I see you have removed the bulkhead and body out riggers ready to weld on the Series type.
    Keep us posted.
    Are you going 5 speed or Auto ?

Quote Originally Posted by mongoswede View Post
    Right now I am not planning on running the stock rover fuel tanks....these details are still evolving.
    Did this one ever see further progress to report on ?
    ---------------------------
    1961 Ser IIa Hybrid Defender
    1969 Ser IIa Bugeye
    1980 Ser III Lightweight 24V RHD- sold
    1988 LR90 turbo diesel RHD - currently frame off rebuild in progress
    1998 Disco - ex wife :-(
    2000 Disco - RIP , end over end 2.5 times
    2010 RR Sport Supercharged

http://mikerovers.shutterfly.com/

I have also been thinking of this. Right now I have narrowed it down to either a 95 Disco or a 1986 Toyota SR5 pickup. Leaning towards the toyota but have not fully commited. Both have solid frames/running engines and running gear.

project is patiently waiting. need to finish the 73 and sell the 68.

I've been interested in putting my IIA 88" body on a Disco chassis. However, I haven't been able to figure out how to keep the wheels from sticking out beyond the Series body. From hub face to hub face (where the wheels contact the hubs), the Disco axles measure about 6-1/2" wider than the Series axles and it doesn't look there is room to fit everything even if I go the trouble/expense of narrowing the Disco axles. The Disco chassis measures exactly the same 31" as the Series Chassis, but the coils are mounted completely outboard of the frame rails. I've thought of three solutions to the problem (1) narrow the Disco axles, (2) widen the Series body (ughhh), and (3) use wheels with enough offset to take care of the moving the road wheels back under the Series wings. Option 3 will probably look a bit funny because wheels with enough offset would look a lot like the wheels that make dual wheels work. I suppose there's a fourth option in the form of some sort of wheel well flares but I've also thought those were a bit cheesy. Any ideas?