Thread: New Rover owner...a few problems

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Kind of fun to re-read this old thread I started when I first got my RRC. A lot of water has passed under the bridge since then. I still have the truck, it's been a work in progress. We've taken a lot of of trails together over the past few years, from Oregon to Death Valley and from the Redwood Coast to the Rubicon.

Nowadays the '91 sports a 3" lift. For quite some time I ran aggressive 33" tires but am currently back down to the 265/75 BFGs like were on it when I bought it. Great all-around tires and I can still pop the 33's on if I need them for a trip. I'm also running a lot of protection, homemade diff guards that I built when I swapped the axles, ('92 RRC in the front with TrueTrac, D1 in the rear with a Detroit locker) Rockware sliders, GDE front bumper, Bottorf rear (yuk!) which I plan to modify extensively as it's poorly made and a crappy design to begin with. Also running a semi-hidden winch mounted between the frame rails and pulling through the front bumper.

As for drivetrain, I'm running a '95 4.2 through an R380 5-speed and an LT230. The front driveshaft is a DII unit I rebuilt, the rear is stock. There are a number of other upgrades, including a full drawer/storage system in the rear which I designed and built with help from a friend who owns a cabinet shop.

As for me, I've managed to increase my knowledge of Rovers considerably over the years, having thrown myself into them whole-heartedly. I'm member of the Northern Ca. Land Rover club (NCLR) and am a moderator on another Rover forum, and am currently making a living parting out, flipping, restoring and otherwise working on Rovers. I currently have my '91 and my '61 SII and have added a '94 RRC LWB, two '95 LWBs (which I co-own with a friend and partner) and a massively lifted '88 RRC on 39.5s (which is actually a parts truck.) I also have gathered most of the parts I need to build a D90 which will be my primary off-road and rough trail rig, keeping the '91 in reserve for more daily-driver and mild trail/expedition duties. Plans for the '91 include a possible diesel conversion at some point in the future.

My, how things do change with the passage of time...!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    1991 RRC
    1989 RRC "Parts rig"
    1961 LR SII 88"
    1967 Sunbeam Tiger
    1970 Mercedes 250C
    1989 Ford Ranger 5.0 H.O.
    1968 Ford F250 CS