Thread: New Rover owner...a few problems

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default New Rover owner...a few problems

Hi, just joined up. I have a '91 Range Rover that I just purchased day before yesterday:

It has a few issues that I'm working my way through and I have some questions.

The CEL is on and I have to get that taken care of before I can smog it. It's throwing code 45, for the right O2 sensor. I first checked the wires and found the plug seemed a bit loose. Pushed it together till it clicked, cleared the code and went home happy. Yesterday morning the CEL came on again, code 45 again. I got to poking around under the hood and found a vacuum line that had been chewed through by a 'possum that took up residence under the hood before I bought it. (The PO had to repair some chewed wires so he thought he'd missed something, ergo the CEL...) I fixed the line thinking that the vacuum leak was triggering the code. Cleared the code, went home happy. This morning it came back yet again.

Now my question...this thing has a fairly bad exhaust leak where the right side manifold connects to the exhaust pipe (the pipe has separated from the flange...I'll have to pull it and weld it) Is it coincidence that the exhaust leak is on the same side as the sensor that's causing a code, or can an exhaust leak ahead of the sensor trigger a code from the sensor?

Maybe it's simply time for new sensors. It's got 184K miles and I don't know if they're original or not...

Now on to my other question: I get an annoying vibration/rattle from under the front of the vehicle, I've determined that it's caused by the front driveshaft rubbing on the sway bar. How much clearence is there supposed to be between the two, and what could have caused the front axle to move in such a way as to cause this interference? I've jacked it up and shaken and wiggled and inspected and things seem tight, bushings seem fairly firm...I'm thinking that in the short run I'll simply shim the sway bar down and away from the driveshaft, but this has me bugged.

Overall I'm pretty happy with it, for a grand I couldn't pass it up. Needs a heater core and they seem to be pricey, not to mention a blast to install. Lots of little issues to take care of but it's quite drivable as is so I can take care of things as time permits.

This is my first Range Rover, but not my first Rover. I have a '61 SII Land Rover as well as several other English vehicles. I'm no stranger to a wrench and am not afraid to tackle anything on the vehicle. In fact, I'm a moderator on another automotive forum and spend a lot of my time dispensing advice...now the tables are turned and I'm the one doing the asking!
    Last edited by TigerDan; 01-03-2007 at 08:57 AM.