Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Starting 2.5 Diesel

Yep, that is a good looking 110 you got there Geoff. I'd be interested to hear how it runs on the highways with the 2.5 NA diesel and that Roverdrive. Mine would hit 60 MPH eventually but a head wind or a slight grade would really slow it down. I have a Tdi in it now so that is no longer a problem. I am going to stuff the 2.5 NA that came out of the 110 into my Series 3 88. Then I'd like to install a Roverdrive.

With winter fast approching here in the Great White North, my quest for a soft top has lost some of it's urgency, but the Rovers North one looks pretty good.

Brett

Thats a mighty fine collection you have there! While I loved my series II, the III sure was a little nicer on the inside, syncro trans and all the frills! I don't have a lot of Rover diesel experience but from what I hear the 2.5 is the best they made before introducing the TDIs. I bet your Series will be great with that transplant. Wish I could afford the TDI swap, but that's cost prohibitive here. Guess they were more readily available up "There", 15 years old vs 25 here is the States. Once I get the electrics sorted out and the vehicle registered, I'll test out the RoverDrive and let you know. We've got some mighty long flat roads here in TX, it will probably go faster than I want to go in it! Eventually a paint job is going to happen, and who knows what else.

The 2.5 NA is a nice engine and it was great in the 110 around town, but a little wearing on longer highway drives. I think it will be just right in the lighter 88. The 300Tdi's are not that really hard to come by. I got mine in the UK for a very good price and had it shipped over. I know there are more and more showing up in the US. It really transformed the 110 though.

Mine is in desperate need of a paint job as well. That was one of the things that was supposed to happen this past summer, but as always seems to happen, summer slipped by before I noticed.

Brett

That will have to be the topic for a new thread "Garage Paint Booth", or something to that effect. While I have no body work experience, I think I could build something out of PVC tubing, maybe some shower curtains, a box fan or two and some real good filters. This would enable me to do small jobs, fenders and such. While putting the new soft top on the other day, I wished I could tackle something simple like taking some surface rust off the windshield hinges, replace windshied gasket, and general sanding/grinding action. Of couse that needs to be quickly followed up with paint or oxidation sets in. So I could use a few good ideas on a simple, inexpensive paint booth I can set up/knock down as needed. I know that it'd be better to pay a professional and get it all at once, but that's just not in the budget. I'd rather do things as I can afford them, and have the time to put into it.