Page 1 of 45 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Got My Lightweight!! Stay Tuned for Project Updates and Plenty of Questions!

Default Got My Lightweight!! Stay Tuned for Project Updates and Plenty of Questions!

Well, after asking quite a few questions on this Forum, I finally got a Lightweight. I've always liked them, so when I sold my restored 63 IIA, I started looking for one.

This one is a 1973 SIII LHD 12V with 67,000 kilometers on it.

The bad:
    - The rear section of the chassis is toast.
    - The bulkhead footwell areas have some small rust holes - not too bad.
    - The bottom of the radiator support is a little tender - again, not bad at all.
    - One door top frame has a very small rust hole.
    - The engine taps (only when on the throttle) and seems a little down on power (maybe just a valve and timing adjustment needed).
    - The water temp gauge pegs to full hot (hopefully just a sending unit needed). The owner says that the temperature taken with a thermometer at the radiator looks good.

The good:
    - The door frames seem solid.
    - The upper bulkhead looks really good.
    - The body itself is in great condition with only 3-4 small dents - I've never seen such a straight body on a military vehicle.
    - Everything seems to be there and in decent shape with the exception of the rear lifting rings.

The plan:
    - Install galvanized chassis & new brake lines.
    - Install parabolic springs & OME shocks.
    - New stainless exhaust.
    - Tune up engine & adjust valves.
    - All new seals - hubs, trans, swivel balls, diffs, etc.
    - Clean & paint all drivetrain bits.
    - Repair bulkhead & radiator support.
    - New Michelin XZL tires (an early X-Mas present to myself).
    - Waxoyl the inside of the door frames and bulkhead areas.
    - Brush-on a fresh coat of camo paint.
    - Enjoy

The goal is to have a vehicle that is mechanically excellent while retaining it 'character', and will last a long, long time.

Any and all comments/suggestions are welcomed!!

Here are a few pictures:

Pretty straight, isn't it?:

nice

Default Lightweight

Jac,

Nice Lightweight---where are you located. There are a couple of Lightweights on the South Shore (Plymouth area)

drop me a line on the side

rovr66atgmaildaughtcom

BN

I'm actually in East Granby, CT. I bought it from a guy who lived in Rutland, MA.

Welcome to the club!

I'm surprised at the rust on the leading edge of your bulkhead. Looks like it's trapping sand up there but I'm not sure how... maybe I'm missing a plate on mine.

^^Yes, it is definitely trapping stuff between the splash guard and the bulkhead. It actually looks like someone bent the bulkhead sheet metal a little to allow for drainage. Luckily, they didn't cut anything and I should be able to straighten it out.

I may end up bringing the bulkhead to my body guy for a 'correct' restoration & re-spray. It's probably better to do it right the first time than to just slap some patches on it and have to fix it again in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by jac04
    ^^Yes, it is definitely trapping stuff between the splash guard and the bulkhead. It actually looks like someone bent the bulkhead sheet metal a little to allow for drainage. Luckily, they didn't cut anything and I should be able to straighten it out.

I may end up bringing the bulkhead to my body guy for a 'correct' restoration & re-spray. It's probably better to do it right the first time than to just slap some patches on it and have to fix it again in the future.
    I agree with you on that one. Not sure where you could source a bulkhead for these things any more...

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Smith
    I agree with you on that one. Not sure where you could source a bulkhead for these things any more...
    PABlanchard. Source of all things good for Rovers in cabbage and black. Not cheap though.

Atleast you can find parts which aren't here for all of us.
    Jim

Looks Great! I almost bought that rover but found another light weight i liked more in PA! i think we are going to have to start a pure light weight club and get some drives together next year