Page 13 of 45 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Got My Lightweight!! Stay Tuned for Project Updates and Plenty of Questions!

Quote Originally Posted by thixon
    That is the cleanest gearbox I have ever seen....bar none.
    I agree. I wonder if that is the result of that aluminum paint stuff. Heard of it but never used it. If that is the case then sign me up!

^^ You know, at first I thought that it was just a bead-blasted case in natural aluminum. However, when assembling the e-brake mechanism, I noticed that the studs were the same color. Turns out that the case IS painted with some type of aluminum-looking paint. At first I was upset, but the stuff seems very tough and should keep the box looking great.

I once bead blasted a transmission and made the mistake of leaving it without any protection. It started to erode on me in the first 1000 miles and looked like junk in no time.

The paint would have been a much nicer way to go if you ask me.

Clutch pedal box assembly all ready to go:

Tried to reply to your PM you but it says your box is full. Popular guy!

Boy oh boy, looking good! Appreciate you taking the time to snap all the shots as you go. Inspiring. I'm surprised you're getting such good quality with the spray cans. Looks very pro. Makes me think my HVLP is overkill. Keep up the updates!!!
    1970 88 IIA

Quote Originally Posted by ktom300
    Tried to reply to your PM you but it says your box is full. Popular guy!
    All clear now! Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by JackIIA
    I'm surprised you're getting such good quality with the spray cans. Looks very pro. Makes me think my HVLP is overkill. Keep up the updates!!!
    Thanks for noticing, I really spend a lot of time on prep work, so that obviously helps. I blast using DuPont Biasil sand, then sand smooth with 320 or 400 wet-or-dry paper. Then it's time for a laquer thinner wipe down followed by a tack cloth. Finally I get to prime & paint. My trick is to keep everything warm, especially the spray cans. I keep my 'paint room' at about 80-90F, and the paint cans I estimate at about 100F. It really helps.

Quote Originally Posted by jac04
    Clutch pedal box assembly all ready to go:
    Can anyone tell me the part number for the metal shim that shows quite nicely in the work above? It is the piece that goes between the master cylinder mounting feet and the pedal box. My 109 does not have it and I feel it will lead to wet toes.