Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie Introduction

Default Newbie Introduction

Been lurking here for years and decided to post concerning our hosts Defender front brake conversion I just recently installed. The swivel housings and hubs were designed brilliantly! Easily double the strength of stock housings - casting and machining quality is top drawer. Brakes are outstanding - instructions are well written. Expensive? Absolutely!! Worth the cost? If I ever do another series Rover, it'll be my 1st parts purchase. Oh yeah, my Rover is a 1967 SIIA 109 NADA 6 cyl (#243) that I've owned for 28 years. It's now a 109 Pretender... Pics attached.

Cheers!

Very clean truck! Too clean!

I like the carbed V8 setup that you have.

What is the white trellis frame under the hood for?
    61 II 109" Pickup (Restomod, 350 small block, TR4050)
    66 IIA 88" Station Wagon (sold)
    66 IIA 109" Pickup (Restomod, 5MGE, R380)
    67 IIA 109" NADA Wagon (sold)
    88, 2.5TD 110 RHD non-hicap pickup

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.

Nice truck.
    May I ask what aircon set up you are using?

So, I lived in Tulsa for a few years...and know that there really is not that much mountainous terrain around in that area. I can understand the occasional sandy areas... But, Where exactly do you take that beast? Its setup for a post apocalyptic war! Very nice!

Very impressive!

What did you use for the power steering?

Thanks for all the kind words! Yes, I went a little OCD on the old girl when I did the frame up restoration/remanufacture. My goal was to use Land Rover parts, hence the 3.9 V8, range rover pwr. steering, custom A/C using RR compressor, etc. JP, the rad. support was just in case I whack a rock or tree someday and rip off a fender Crankin, Tulsa is my birthplace, but I love SW Oklahoma because of the Wichita and Quartz mnts. Very old clean granite that is great for climbing and camping/fishing. NW corner has Little Sahara state park, but I prefer the rocks. I painted it almost 20 years ago using a full Boeing aircraft paint schedule with Dupont Imron, still looks like new. No garage queen - won't fit anymore Bill Davis @GBR is building a Salisbury for the rear and I'm going to replace radiator w/custom alum. because engine has no reserve cooling when it's 105 in the shade w/AC on.
    Thanks again gang and let me know if you want more details

I am favorably impressed. That thing is top shelf.

I like how, even though it is totally tricked out, it is still quite conservative (i.e., plain, white rims, no stickers all over). I like Rovers that look all business.

Somebody above had it right--they should put that thing in a new Mad Max movie.

When I started this project I wanted to remain true to the Land Rover design philosophy. I tried to make all my mods reflect the same ideals. When the NAS Defender came out in 93, I decided to build the exterior cage. It's not identical to the Safety Devices design, but it's tied to the frame in a similiar fashion. Then I built the roof rack, ladder and incorporated a swing away tire carrier using an Isuzu Rodeo carrier flipped upside down and mounted on the right side. North American Galvanizing in Tulsa handled all my pieces and most very small items had to be hand dipped - which they did for a very reasonable cost. Now I'm trying to locate a sankey trailer at a reasonable price so I can put a roof top tent up w/kitchen,etc. It's an obsession...

P.S. Everyone here has been an inspiration for me all these years and my Rover has many mods that came from your ideas too. Keep up the great work!!

Default flickr pics

I must be getting old... took me a while to figure this out (ps- if you use IE right click pic in flickr, go to properties, then copy ENTIRE URL, then paste into RN using insert image icon on thread msg window. My IE doesn't have "copy image location" - threw me for a loop for a bit...

Anyway, following are a few more detail pics - here's 1st one

Default another pic

sure would like to post multiple pics in one msg - haven't figured that out yet...