Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Other Favorite Vehicles

Vityaz I must have.

That is just awesome.
    61 II 109" Pickup (Restomod, 350 small block, TR4050)
    66 IIA 88" Station Wagon (sold)
    66 IIA 109" Pickup (Restomod, 5MGE, R380)
    67 IIA 109" NADA Wagon (sold)
    88, 2.5TD 110 RHD non-hicap pickup

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.

Quote Originally Posted by jp-
    Vityaz I must have.

That is just awesome.
    Just an observation: I watched the video twice just to make sure--The Vityaz can certainly get itself into sticky situations. That's the easy part (just ask me). The hard part is getting OUT of sticky situations, something that the video DIDN't show. The video of it driving into muck 5 feet deep was interesting, but I wanted to see the driving out part!
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Yeah, but did you watch the second video where it was rescuing all the people? We know it got out of that.

Anyone know where I can pick up a slightly used one, cheap?
    61 II 109" Pickup (Restomod, 350 small block, TR4050)
    66 IIA 88" Station Wagon (sold)
    66 IIA 109" Pickup (Restomod, 5MGE, R380)
    67 IIA 109" NADA Wagon (sold)
    88, 2.5TD 110 RHD non-hicap pickup

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.

twisties~South Lake Tahoe tarmac rallye style

Ike, kewl score on the video. You could body surf the bow wake on the front of that thing!
    Cheers, Thompson
    Art & Creative Director, Rovers Magazine
    Rovers North, Inc.

Default Vityaz

Just an observation: I watched the video twice just to make sure--The Vityaz can certainly get itself into sticky situations. That's the easy part (just ask me). The hard part is getting OUT of sticky situations, something that the video DIDN't show. The video of it driving into muck 5 feet deep was interesting, but I wanted to see the driving out part!
    Def watch the second vid. Read the captions if you can. Basically this is what you call when you need to recover serious equipment. They show it recovering a large tank, Catipillar, and some huge tracked oil exploration equipment. If it didnt make it out, youd have to abandon it because I dont think you could recover one without having a pair. I dont think I have seen anything that doesnt fly thats more capable than the vityaz. Oh and thats way deeper than 5 feet

Quote Originally Posted by leafsprung
    Def watch the second vid. Read the captions if you can. Basically this is what you call when you need to recover serious equipment. They show it recovering a large tank, Catipillar, and some huge tracked oil exploration equipment. If it didnt make it out, youd have to abandon it because I dont think you could recover one without having a pair. I dont think I have seen anything that doesnt fly thats more capable than the vityaz. Oh and thats way deeper than 5 feet
    It took me a while to find the second video; I didn't know the 2 posted were different and ended up watching 4 minutes of some Russians driving the Soviet equivalent of a VW bus across some railroad tracks till I figured it out.

Definitely lots of footage of the vityaz getting OUT of messes on the 2nd video! I think "WOW" pretty much sums it up...
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Here's my other favourite vehicle... It's not much, but at least it's mine!

Default my vehicular dreams:

Since I worked for many years at a BMW motorcycle shop which was the equivalent of RN, most of my 2 wheeled fantasies have been filled and the collection represents 4 countries and 60 years of development.
    I also had the fortune of getting a '66 Volvo 122S as my first car (in 1991) and followed that up with many more including P1800's, so I'm done with the swedish thing. So on to more countries...I like my SWB, by I really wanted a pre-'67 109 SW...and if I live forever, it'll be a clone of seriestrek's. I'm done with American iron,the '55 Pontiac was a headache with the large amount of bad parts sources out there. In a week or two I hope to become the newest owner of a 1966 Citroen DS, although the holidays are a busy time to corrdinate with people. I just finished babysitting a 1961 Unimog 404S-so I got the slow but very able off-roader bug out of my system. My ultimate dream car? Tatra T87...

Woo, I'm a fan of the Tatras, too. I've only ever seen one T87 IRL. I was driving cross-country with a friend in a 1964 VW Double Cab Pickup several years ago. After Indianapolis I took my turn at the wheel and found that breakfast required serious antacids to stay down. I pulled into a rest stop, and there on a trailer behind a moving truck was a crusty T87. Wound up talking to the guy for over an hour (we both own Citroens, too). He was from Hollywood and collected strange old vehicles. I think I still have his card around here somewhere... He expressed a serious interest in the VW, too.

I own 15 or so antique cars right now. My DD is a 1974 GMC pickup, but I have several Citroens (an ID19, a 2CV and a Traction Avant), several aircooled VWs (I've owned over 300 so far, though now I have only 3), a 1973 Porsche 911, an old Mercedes, etc. etc. I'm waiting for word on a '78 MGB that might be drifting into my driveway soon (and I mean drifting - the motor is apart and the block bad, but the body is PERFECT).

As for cars I would drool over daily if I owned? Lessee - a 1938 Peugeot 402B Eclipse (love those lines); a 1967 Citroen DS21 Decap (oh la la); a 1938 BMW 328 MM roadster (the Germans really did make beautifully artful cars, once upon a time); the list goes on...

I'm very happy with the cars I have, however, as they are worthy classics as well. My newly purchased Series II brings me full circle, of cars I've wanted that I could reasonably afford that I haven't owned in the past.

Mech
    1960 SII 88 NADA HT w/OD and HEAT!!

former pro Series mechanic

My thoughts on other vehicles that I would like/have are
    IHC Cub (have one next restoration project)
    International Scout < 1971
    original mini cooper
    54' willies military.

Not musch for hot rods like the 4wd's and something about the mini's.