Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Coil Sprung Series

What do you mean i need the series rear cross member or can i just weld on those tabs to hold on to the tub... Is that the one your talking about
    The shape and bends in the frame should be the same once i shorten it right?
    Thanks,
    -Ethan
    1966 2a 88' Pickup
    1966 2a 109' Pickup
    2002 F550 7.3l
    1997 f250 7.3l

The shape and the bends are okay, not a deal....

If you look at the back of a Series, the rear-crossmember is a key part of the appearance. On the ones I've seen done, what we did was take one of the replacement crossmembers and merge it onto the back of the RRC chassis. The back end of the RRC chassis, where the bumper bolts to, is a bit further forward for the rear-tub, putting the replacement crossmember on there brought it out to where those tabs are, and makes it look more like a Series.

Alternatively, you could make a replica of it, and put it on there, just to support the tabs, w/o using a replacement one. Or, you could even just use a square channel, w/ more of the military look. Do something custom. Whatever you like.
    -L

'72 SIII SW 88"
    '60 SII 88" RHD

Leslie,
    I know this sounds bad but now i am thinking against the coil sprung idea because of the headaches i already have. I think that i will go with RRC axles with leaf springs if i cant find an already modified chassis. it will work i think though becuase forrest did it with disco axles under a series 2a 109 Tdi and it worked...
    Thanks,
    -Ethan
    1966 2a 88' Pickup
    1966 2a 109' Pickup
    2002 F550 7.3l
    1997 f250 7.3l

I didn't mean to completely discourage you, just let you know what to expect.

Sure, you can put the coiler axles on a leaf spung truck, but you'll have to add spring perches to the axle tubes.
    -L

'72 SIII SW 88"
    '60 SII 88" RHD

ethan stick with the coiler chassis, its not that bad, I will be doing the exact same thing in a few weeks (except not shortening the frame). It will be a nice thing to save the frame money, and you can get the rear cross member or "bumper" of a series from rovers north.

I am gung ho for it but when dad says no because we dont have room in the garage for any more parts for my truck then i just go under, but i am going to try hard for it its something i realy want to do and hope to do but i dont know what the future holds, and u didnt discurage me leslie u gave me a ton of info so ill keep ya posted!!!
    Thanks,
    -Ethan
    1966 2a 88' Pickup
    1966 2a 109' Pickup
    2002 F550 7.3l
    1997 f250 7.3l

buy this DVD http://www.a-4x4-is-born.com/

It is a pretty good conversion of a RRC to a 100" Defender- the series would be similar in many ways. Even though the DVD is a european product it works in US players. I think I bought my copy used for $10 on Ebay.uk.

it is good enough that RN or someone should sell it over here(hint hint)
    1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

Default galvy coil sprung frame

This also may or may not help...

http://burlington.craigslist.org/pts/916139364.html

that is an incredible deal, i wish i hadn't already started a project.