Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Salisbury HD axle flanges

Quote Originally Posted by leafsprung
    Dont forget the oil lines on the coilsprung trucks
    Ohhh yeah I forgot about thoise- but then again I have tried to do my best to avoid those coilsprung things... the '89 I have is an anomoly- I don't think I'll ever own another- if I do it won't have the 3.9l, ZF-nor those lame oil lines...

Wasn't someone making torque limiting hibs for LR's once? I thought it was kind of a funny idea when I ran across them some time back. Maybe a shear pin on the driveshaft would work.
    1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

Default Soft material

I'd rather have had the driven flange fail than the axle shaft (or worse) fail.
    You are making the assumption that something else would fail instead.

Quote Originally Posted by leafsprung
    You are making the assumption that something else would fail instead.
    You are correct, Sir! Though I understand your point...the Dana 60 diff/axles are a whole lot stronger than their rover counterparts, making the hub the weak link. As a matter of fact, I can't recall any stories of anyone breaking thier Salisbury axles. Not even the 10-spline inner portion. Having said this, I'm sure a bunch of folks will post their broken Salisbury axle stories.

Getting back toward the original topic, I'm wondering what makes one driven hub "heavy duty" compared to others...The usual failure mode is to strip the splines off the inside of the driven hub, presuming that my hub failure was typical. If you can't change the spline dimensions/count, what's left? Harder metal? More spline contact along the axle length?
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

put me in line for a set.

btw my salisbury axle is 24 spline both ends. I think they are all this way.

Quote Originally Posted by SafeAirOne
    You are correct, Sir! Though I understand your point...the Dana 60 diff/axles are a whole lot stronger than their rover counterparts, making the hub the weak link. As a matter of fact, I can't recall any stories of anyone breaking thier Salisbury axles. Not even the 10-spline inner portion. Having said this, I'm sure a bunch of folks will post their broken Salisbury axle stories.

Getting back toward the original topic, I'm wondering what makes one driven hub "heavy duty" compared to others...The usual failure mode is to strip the splines off the inside of the driven hub, presuming that my hub failure was typical. If you can't change the spline dimensions/count, what's left? Harder metal? More spline contact along the axle length?
    A Land Rover would never turn up to collect an Oscar. It'd be far too busy doing something important, somewhere, for someone."

Alright we're up to 4 sets so far. Keep the interest coming as we need a few more sets to make this work.
    Jason T.

Default Salisbury axle

We broke a Salisbury axle on our '68 ambulance/camper, replaced it and the hubs with ones from GBR, and years later everything is fine. They do break! Jim
    1968 battlefield ambulance/camper
    1963 Unimog Radio box
    1995 LWB RR

Quote Originally Posted by daveb
    btw my salisbury axle is 24 spline both ends. I think they are all this way.
    Yeah--I was thinking of my front axles--10 inner 24 outer. My Salisbury is 24 both ends also.
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Default Material

I'm wondering what makes one driven hub "heavy duty" compared to others...

Better material

Gang,
    I've gotta ck w/Bill sometime this week because he has my Salisbury ready to ship and I'll mention that several of us here want to get the HD flanges. The HD units Maxi-drive had were made from better material (tougher/harder) and the broaching was very tight on the splines. I imagine GBR will build as good or better. I'll try to get specific material specs. etc. Maybe the interest will get him fired up a little faster!

I purchased an ARB back cover for the axle. It's heavy nodular cast iron - w/ a dipstick! Designed to increase case strength ( I don't need that really..) and provide built in rock protection - (I want that). Only bad thing is it's powder coated red!

Steve

Why are checking with Bill when it appears as if people are interested in having Ike make the flanges?