Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Handling problem

Never had to replace any of the steering column parts on P38 Range Rovers. I have on (my own) Defenders and Discovery I. Unless there's difference with LHD.

An update on our ongoing quest to solve the tire wear issues.

We have a new issue, and that's a severe front end shake at 55mph. There's another post in the forums about that same issue. Starting to see some threads develop.

Recap: We checked all the joints in the front end. I had replaced the panhard bushings with a poly units from a DAP kit. That didn't make a difference.

Steering box and draglink had been replaced by the dealer previously.

We focused on the front end as that seems to be the source of the trouble. Replaced the bushings in the locating rod from the frame to the axle. This is the main structural component that locates the axle laterally under the truck.

Stock bushings looked ok, but the new bushings made a world of difference.

Still not the ride we want, but the crazy darting(lef t and right) over the road have decreased significantly.

The severe wear on the front tires has me concerned that there may be damage or severe balance issues(although I did rebalance them recently) issues with the tires. Replacements to arrive this week.

I plan on doing the bushings in the rear end some time this week. I have replacement upper and lower balljoints, but the existing units don't seem to have any play. Whether we can exert enough pressure on these to elicit play is another issue altogether.

Have a front brake rotor that I think is warped, so new rotors and pads will be on order this week.

This truck is in too good a shape to move on down the road without some more diagnostic work.

I'll post more as time(and money) are spent.

Cheers! John