Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Red Mountain Rovers

An addition to the above. ANY imported vehicle should have the correct paper trail with it no matter how many owners it has passed through in this country. As an example, in eight years of having my 101 in this country I have had to prove its legal import status at least 6 times to the AZ DMV even although they should have traceable records.

Just because it is over 25 years old when you buy it does not mean it was originally brought in legally and there is no pleading ignorance as a defence. As an example there was a nice blue 110 on ebay last year, 1983 V8 with LT95, that had my interest but it turns out when you started running the numbers based on the seller's commentary it had been brought in early. On questioning he disclosed that it was actually registered as a '74 109. Even although it was now 25 years old it still was not legal and, as the import paperwork was fraudulent, it never could be.

Caveat emptor. Like the poster above I prefer to stick with leafers and ended up with a fun NADA 109 to build.

Ask for and confirm DoT and Importation paperwork if it is under 25 years old. Legal trucks will have the right paper form the registered importer.
    Don't have to be a registered importer. Private individual can import. (I am, I did.) Do save the paperwork though. First titling was smooth. Registration renewal on line just like every other vehicle I have....(PA)
    Hannibal...... 1964 SIIA 88" NAS.....

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar
    Don't have to be a registered importer. Private individual can import. (I am, I did.) Do save the paperwork though. First titling was smooth. Registration renewal on line just like every other vehicle I have....(PA)
    Quite true!

Registered importers come into play when you want to bring in a younger vehicle for the federalization process. Say the 959 porsche that Gates had done...

I think Gates crashed that 959 shortly after.
    72 SIII

Quote Originally Posted by yank
    I think Gates crashed that 959 shortly after.
    It was impounded for nearly a decade and a half by customs in seattle. During that time, Gates and a bunch of other car collectors began working to have a law passed allowing certain cars of "interest" to be imported for show and display. The law was passed during Clintons reign. The use of these types of vehicles is extremely limited, and driving on public roads in not one of the approved uses. Seems like I saw the car in Vegas for sale a number of years back. Its red if I recall.
    Travis
    '66 IIa 88

Quote Originally Posted by Eric W S
    Interesting. I did not know that about kit cars and the DoT. Learn something new everyday.
    Just because ECR has it on their website, doesn't make it true.
    Truth be told the DMV has bigger fish to fry than chasing people who are trying to smuggle in old Land Rovers.
    1965 109 2door hardtop (restored years ago)
    1971 88 (restored and as new)
    1967 88 (the next project)

Or modernizing a 83 that is legal to import into a 2008 MY as well?
    Modernizing or upgrading a legitimately imported car is not illegal as long as you are not tampering with emissions. Rebadging a newer car with an old vin tag is illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by Bertha
    Just because ECR has it on their website, doesn't make it true.
    Truth be told the DMV has bigger fish to fry than chasing people who are trying to smuggle in old Land Rovers.
    Actually, ECR's info is correct. I checked the DoT website and the actual reg...

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew IIA
    Just plain illegal as I read the law, but use you're own judgement. Here's an excerpt from the ECR website:

According to the D.O.T.: It is NOT legal to import a vehicle as parts and assemble it in the USA and then register it for road use. This is a crime and is it NOT legal. It is also NOT legal to import parts that constitute a vehicle (such as 1 gearbox, 1 frame, 2 axles, 1 body) this too can be a crime if the intention is to assemble the parts.

According to the States of: Maine, New York, New Hampshire and California (and these are the only ones we called) Registering your Land-Rover as a "kit car" is NOT legal. A kit cat is a vehicle such as Bradley GT that you build on a VW chassis. The manufactures of these "kits" are registered with the D.O.T. and putting together a production style vehicle such as a Defender 90 is NOT legal in any way shape or form. A few companies are currently using this method to build 110s, but they won't last long, and if they checked with the D.O.T they would find out it is NOT LEGAL.

Some unscrupulous dealers will also try to sell you a Defender or other Rover that is built up as a SPCV (Specially Constructed Vehicle). This is NOT a loophole, and does NOT apply to a production based vehicle such as a Land-Rover Defender. The companies using this are in VIOLATION of DOT and NHTSA rules. The shops using this method are classified as "Manufactures" by the DOT, and therefore the Defender or other Rover they are importing/ building would need to meet all current NHTSA and DOT requirements. These requirements would include driver and passenger air bags and anti-lock brakes just to name a few.

For more information on this you can search the DOT's web site. They have copies of the actual letters written to these fly-by-night operations explaining to them that they are in violation.

For more info than you want to know: http://www.eastcoastrover.com/imports.html

Regards, Andrew
    63 SIIA 88"

Werd. Do you happen to know the penalties for owning a vehicle with a swapped VIN? It's called [I]altering the VIN[I]. Try up to 5 years in the Federal pen, plus state penalties, not to mention the forfeiture and fines. If you sell such a machine, that goes up to TEN years in the pokey. And if you get into an accident, even if it's not your fault, YOU are automatically at fault (known defective vehicle that does not meet DOT standards) and are FULLY liable (and you can count on your insurance company suing you for perpetrating a fraud on them). Take your rig in for inspection or even repairs, and if the mechanic finds the alteration, you're in the same boat. Every time you buy tires... or get the oil changed... or a cop pulls you over because you have a taillight out... you get the picture. Is a D90 or 110 really worth that?

And a D90 (or 110) that was brought over in pieces is STILL a Defender, NOT a Series III.

Relevant links:
    http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/ht...1----000-.html

http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18/2321.html

Mech
    1960 SII 88 NADA HT w/OD and HEAT!!

former pro Series mechanic

So by reading of the law, wouldn't converting a 90 to a 110 be illegal as well?
    In any event, I'd rather restore a 109 than build a 110.
    I'snt that what ECR does-take d90's and 110's and convert them to 110's and 130's with different motors and equipment?