Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Red Mountain Rovers

Quote Originally Posted by yorker
    Even more to the point- who cares!? This sort of endless ****house lawyering I'd expect on Dweebweb or even d90.com but here? If it isn't your truck or one you are considering buying then what does it matter? It doesn't belong on a Series LR tech forum.
    Half the posts in this section don't belong here. This isn't the be all end all tech source for series trucks.

When did the definition of tech change to include battery and tire choices or any other amount of banal topics that have surfaced recently?

Oh yeah?

Well....my dad can beat up your dad!
    Travis
    '66 IIa 88

Exactly!

For every point there is a counter point. You either get sucked into these like a fool like me or just roll your eyes and think "It's an internet BBS..."

End of the day right wrong or indifferent, the laws aren't going to change overnight...

Quote Originally Posted by Eric W S
    Exactly!

End of the day right wrong or indifferent, the laws aren't going to change overnight...
    and odds are they won't change for the better for people with interests like us. Remember when it was legal to import your own car from overseas?

If politicians see a way to make $ they'll close down the 25 year old "loophole" too.

And you'll get other wacky stuff like Yearly gas guzzler taxes for engines over 2.0L Or finite parts percentage rules for the registration of older cars- exceed a certain percentage of parts that change from an "as manufactured" standard and the vehicle can no longer be registered and used on the road.

There is no telling what they can come up with. I just don't see much point in arguing about someone elses' 110 here. Buyer beware.

I've seen illegally imported/vin swap Defenders just like everyone else here has- I just prefer to let sleeping dogs lie. We're really lucky there isn't much scrutiny on our little segment of the automotive world IMHO, if we keep dredging this up and hashing it over ad naseum some politician will get ahold of it and start dreaming up even "better" laws. Keep poking this bear and pretty soon we'll all get screwed somehow.
    1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

Well said Yorker. I don't think anyone would care about this if you could pick up a good 110 for $5K. Lot's of times this type of conversation just sounds like sour grapes. Afterall, who here speeds on occasion? That's breaking the law too.....

Jason T.

Quote Originally Posted by 109 Pretender
    Here's my take on this thread:

1. Leafsprung is right! Sueing is part of our social problem - You want to be part of the solution - right? That means getting involved in something constructive like proposing/creating/influencing new legislation.

2. I live in Oklahoma - mini-trucks (Toy,Nissan,etc.) have always been legal - don't have a clue where that came from... True enough, there has been talk about allowing ATV's on farm roads earlier this summer ($4.00+ gas) - but now that we're back down to $1.40/gal. everyone started driving their Hummers, F350 duallies, my 109, etc again!

3. Ralph Nader is an idiot! Always has been... The DOT is there for itself - ONLY! Don't even kid yourself into thinking that the Fed's are there for you and your well being. Case in point - The USA lived with DOT lighting laws that were passed in the early 1940's until just about 10 years ago. Our automobile lighting systems were 50 years behind the European laws. The DOT provides income for people who would otherwise be unemployable. (Yeah, it's harsh!)

4. Looks like a Duck, sounds like a duck, walks like... well? If you 'think' something funny's going on - probably is.

With that - Happy New Year to Everyone!!
    "Ralph Nader is an idiot".........I'm not sure where you are drawing your conclusions from, but I tend to disagree,, If you are a Corvair owner, or have read Unsafe at any speed, and have not researched all the unsafe scams, and products that have been shoved down our Gullets, then U should research a bit about this man B4 making such a comment.. Maybe U have only done your research on the DOT, or I'll admit he is a piss poor politician..That alone is in his favor... In a society where wealth and greed seem to run rampant, Nader's group has done a lot for the common good of our country........... I don't mean to start a pissing contest here, but myself, I'd consider it an honor to carry his briefcase while he walks to work...

Quote Originally Posted by Donnie
    "Ralph Nader is an idiot".........I'm not sure where you are drawing your conclusions from, but I tend to disagree,, If you are a Corvair owner, or have read Unsafe at any speed, and have not researched all the unsafe scams, and products that have been shoved down our Gullets, then U should research a bit about this man B4 making such a comment.. Maybe U have only done your research on the DOT, or I'll admit he is a piss poor politician..That alone is in his favor... In a society where wealth and greed seem to run rampant, Nader's group has done a lot for the common good of our country........... I don't mean to start a pissing contest here, but myself, I'd consider it an honor to carry his briefcase while he walks to work...
    Sorry dog, but Nader is an idiot.

The point is that any vehicle can kill you if you drive it like a fool. Corvair or anything else. Nader made himself famous, by wild charges. All cars are unsafe if their limits are exceeded. This was more or less the beginning of the death of personal responsibility in our society. That is what has killed America. You alone should take responsibility for how you operate your car or your blender. If you stick your hand in a blender it doesn't mean the blender is defective and the manufacturer needs to be sued...

http://www.corvaircorsa.com/handling01.html

"The Corvair Is Exonerated
    At the conclusion of these tests, the NHTSA released its 134 page report. It exonerated the Corvair from Nader’s charges, and said things such as: "The 1960-63 Corvair compares favorably with contemporary vehicles used in the tests," and, "The handling and stability performance of the 1960-63 Corvair does not result in an abnormal potential for loss of control or rollover, and it is at least as good as the performance of some contemporary vehicles both foreign and domestic." The complete report, PB 211-015, can be obtained from the National Technical Information Service (NTIS)*."
    61 II 109" Pickup (Restomod, 350 small block, TR4050)
    66 IIA 88" Station Wagon (sold)
    66 IIA 109" Pickup (Restomod, 5MGE, R380)
    67 IIA 109" NADA Wagon (sold)
    88, 2.5TD 110 RHD non-hicap pickup

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.

Sorry to tell you but:

RALPH NADER IS DEFINITELY AN IDIOT!
    1965 109 2door hardtop (restored years ago)
    1971 88 (restored and as new)
    1967 88 (the next project)

If you are a Corvair owner, or have read Unsafe at any speed, and have not researched all the unsafe scams, and products that have been shoved down our Gullets, then U should research a bit about this man B4 making such a comment.
    No one is forcing anyone to buy an illegal 110, just like no one was forced to buy a corvair or a chevy pickup with side saddle fuel tanks. Because of discussions like this over the last few years (no, this is nothing new)there's enough information, and hopefully, common sense out there that we can all make intelligent and informed decisions with our dollars. No one is shoving anything down my gullet. If I don't want it, I simply don't buy it. With that said, I admire Nadar's intentions and he has made a difference but doesn't have the clairvoyance to predict all future hazards. So that gives him 20/20 hindsite, not X-Ray vision like Superman.
    If Nader really cared he wouldn't let you carry his briefcase as you might pull a muscle in your back!
    Jason T.

Quote Originally Posted by jp-
    Sorry dog, but Nader is an idiot.

The point is that any vehicle can kill you if you drive it like a fool. Corvair or anything else. Nader made himself famous, by wild charges. All cars are unsafe if their limits are exceeded. This was more or less the beginning of the death of personal responsibility in our society. That is what has killed America. You alone should take responsibility for how you operate your car or your blender. If you stick your hand in a blender it doesn't mean the blender is defective and the manufacturer needs to be sued...

http://www.corvaircorsa.com/handling01.html

"The Corvair Is Exonerated
    At the conclusion of these tests, the NHTSA released its 134 page report. It exonerated the Corvair from Nader’s charges, and said things such as: "The 1960-63 Corvair compares favorably with contemporary vehicles used in the tests," and, "The handling and stability performance of the 1960-63 Corvair does not result in an abnormal potential for loss of control or rollover, and it is at least as good as the performance of some contemporary vehicles both foreign and domestic." The complete report, PB 211-015, can be obtained from the National Technical Information Service (NTIS)*."
    JP---I'm gonna' dismiss the name calling, it is uncalled for, & un professional..I think that your attitude is coming from the web, since U quoted the NTIS. Nader is a lot more than the DOT, or a faulty blender...........Jason, I think that U did get something showed down your Gullet, unless U were in favor of your tax $$ bailing out all the corp.bad guys. HUH??.....Bertha, your comment was not defined, that's OK...I suggest to all you Nader haters, look beyond the DOT & the faulty consumer products...pick up a copy of "CUTTING CORPORATE WELFARE"..You will get another view of the man U all hate....Then one day when U need a break from your project, or whatever, grab your favorite beverage, kick back & maybe you will discover what really is destroying America.................
    I apologize to the moderator, I realize I sniped this thread but felt the need to respond..........I'm out.........