Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ProLine vs Genuine

I think it's better to answer the question

"Can I improve upon the LR part?" If so then replace it if it is not offensive to you. It's your truck. Build as you see fit.

Woods' drive shafts, all of Pangolin4x4's parts, Series Trek parts and modern ignitions are a no brainer.

Quote Originally Posted by mcb
    I'm going to replace the rear driveshaft and tie rod ends on my Series lla. The Proline drive shaft is $245 cheaper than the Genuine shaft (which is currently on sale at $425). The Proline tie rod ends are 1/2 the cost of Genuine ends. What experiences have fellow Land Rover owners/mechganics had with Proline parts? Are they a quality part or.............?
    First, Check with Great Basin Rovers first & compare prices. You can go stock or custom. I have Great Basin Rover propshafts front & rear. Mine have longer slip joints & high angle U joints.

Second, Land Rover doesn't make that much themselves. They mostly source components from other companies. So a lot of the time you are paying extra for the box and sending the part through LR's inventory/distribution system. Never assume it is better than that part that follows it down the assembly line and goes into another colour box.

That said, my only objection to Proline is that RN refuses to say who made the part they call Proline. There are some manufacturers, such as Bearmarch that I like to stay away from and there are others such as Mintex that I prefer to purchase from. Sometimes I can only go by the reputation of the manufacturer to guestimate the quality of a prospective purchase. The Proline umbrlla takes that away from me.

I wonder how many parts in Rover boxes come from "the others" and are EXACTLY the same when bought from "the others" except for the box or bag.....
    Hannibal...... 1964 SIIA 88" NAS.....

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar
    I wonder how many parts in Rover boxes come from "the others" and are EXACTLY the same when bought from "the others" except for the box or bag.....
    Like the charcoal evap. cannister on a Range Rover (Rochester Products), $235 Genuine, or same part, same make, same numbers, from NAPA for $45?

Thanks to all for your advice! Question, is stock slip joint length an issue on an 88" Rover with 3 leaf rear parabolic springs and 2 leaf parabolics in front?

By the way, I did discover that front 2 leaf parabolics can be overstressed with the weight of a Koenig winch. I had to install a third leaf as the 2 leaf orginals flattened out.

Thanks to all for your advice! Question, is stock slip joint length an issue on an 88" Rover with 3 leaf rear parabolic springs and 2 leaf parabolics in front?

By the way, I did discover that front 2 leaf parabolics can be overstressed with the weight of a Koenig winch. I had to install a third leaf as the 2 leaf orginals flattened out.
    Could be. Para's add lift.

I've had the rear on mine for 6 years and the front got new u-joints about 4 years ago. The truck has done about 100K on parabolics in that time without issue. I'd say for a stock truck there are other issues to adress first before the slip joint.

Quote Originally Posted by TeriAnn
    That said, my only objection to Proline is that RN refuses to say who made the part they call Proline.
    I hope someone from RN is reading this thread. We all know that the parts are made by one of the aftermarket companies. Like TeriAnn said, the reputation of the manufacturer will dictate whether or not we want to buy the part. So, to our hosts, PLEASE tell us who makes the part. If RN is really choosing the "best" aftermarket parts, then telling us who makes the part will almost certainly result in a sale versus going to another supplier who will tell you who the part is made by.

The length of the slip joint is not an issue. Stock drive shafts work just fine with parabolic springs.
    Jason T.

Question, is stock slip joint length an issue on an 88" Rover with 3 leaf rear parabolic springs and 2 leaf parabolics in front?
    I can't speak to the parabolic question, per se. But did you/will you upgrade shocks?
    In my case, if I upgrade shocks, my front slip joint will bottom out harshly! My OEM shocks are what limit the suspension travel. If I do what seems obvious (upgrade to OME for more travel) I'll probably break something!

Kind regards, Josh