Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: would you purchase a discovery?

JP

Im not sure what catches fire (Ive never owned a RR). It may be the oil cooler lines like the defenders (which also burn to the ground frequently) Theres a few videos on youtube of RRs burning (apparently the p38s like to burn too) Heres one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=448Zt1CmPtE

and of course Ive actually had a few friends who have had their RRCs burn to the ground.

As for the NV4500 adaptors, Im not sure where they are at now in terms of productions (Its not me thats making them)

Quote Originally Posted by jp-
    What exactly catches fire?

Also, any news on the NV4500 adapter to the Rover t-case?
    Don't know about the Disco's, but Defender Oil Cooler lines catch fire right away. If they burst, they spray right onto a hot manifold...

ECR has great info on their site about it and I think? they still offer a kit for Defenders...

Gotta agree with Ike. I sold my Defender to buy a mostly restored 1966 SWB. The difference in pricing for parts is amazing. I feel like I am always getting a discount.

I've never owned a discovery or RR, so take this for what its worth. I'm gonna stay away from the fire issues, and just give you my opinion on functionality as a family vehicle based on my own observations.

Plenty of my nieghbors have RR and Discos, LR3's etc. All are cramped if you have two or more kids. By the time you pack in the family, and add all the stuff you have to haul along, forget about it. Six people isnt even an option. It seems they're always in for service as well.

When we go somewhere with another family (who has one of the afore mentioned vehicles), it seems we always end up driving because everyone can fit in our truck. I have three kids, and had always bought tahoes. This last time we switched up to an expedition. Its been great. It has a third row seat, and you can remove the center section of the middle seat for easy access to the back. The interior isn't nearly as nice as the RR or even a Disco, but it also doesn't tear up as easily.

If a kid truck is what you're after, my vote would be a tahoe or expedition (again, based on my own experience). The excursion is just too big.

Good luck!
    Travis
    '66 IIa 88

I haven't read anything that isn't true in this thread so far. But I'm in the minority with my ownership experience. I had a '96 and put well over 100K miles on it. Changed the oil as usual, did the brakes once, tires, but that's really it. I sold it for $4K in 2004 because I got the feeling I would be looking at an altenator, steering box, radiator, complete exhaust, sunroof repairs, more brakes, etc. and rust if I lifted up the carpets. Even if I did keep it it really would be too small for me now as the kids are getting bigger and the camping trips longer.

It was a good vehicle for me and was fun to own. I do miss it now and then.
    Jason T.

my wife has the lr3 (disco iii) it's nice. has 3rd row, seats 7, i'm 5'10" and was comfortible sitting in the way back on long road trips. cruises great on the hwy. in town it feels more like a truck, a little wobblely. hse model has quite a few ammenities. mileage sucks, 14 mpg in town never more that 21 hwy and as low as 17 while cruis'n into a strong headwind.

seen some nicely tricked out older discos here in albuquerque. guy named rob builds 'em up for his clients.
    '64 Series IIA 88 Canvas Tilt
    '68 Series IIA RHD Ambulance
    '76 Spitfire 1500
    '07 LR3 (Series Recovery Vehicle)

Default DI RRC fire

The fire problem everyone speaks of is caused usually by oil cooler and tranny cooler lines. the setup is essentiallly the same for Discovery and range rover classic, with two cooler lines for tranny and two for oil cooler. the lines as anyone who has replaced can attest to; are of metal/rubber with many tranistions per line. the factory seal that clamps rubber tubing onto metal line begins to weep with age. this then drips onto the super hot catalytic converters, or some other part of the Y pipe and fire you will have. carry an extinguisher and ocasionally check your rearview for smoke. Replacing these lines, available genuine at Rovers North, solve the problem.

thanks for the input. the reason i'm considering the disco is the fact that you can get one pretty cheap. it sounds like i need to look for one that has been well cared for and i'll stand a better chance of reducing the cost of ownership.

i'm 6'2" and my kids are 7 and 8, so i'm definitely interested in the 3rd row and understand that it's ideal for kids. i also realize that the space is limited when using the rear seats.

thanks again for all the feedback.
    '68 109 3 door with multiple personalities
    '03 Ford Excursion 7.3 diesel
    '07 Porsche Carrera S Cabriolet

Quote Originally Posted by chester rides again

i'm 6'2" and my kids are 7 and 8...

Those are some tall kids. Maybe they can go pro?
    61 II 109" Pickup (Restomod, 350 small block, TR4050)
    66 IIA 88" Station Wagon (sold)
    66 IIA 109" Pickup (Restomod, 5MGE, R380)
    67 IIA 109" NADA Wagon (sold)
    88, 2.5TD 110 RHD non-hicap pickup

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.

Da Bulls could use all the help we can...

Default own a Discovery ??

I have never owned one nor do I intend to ,for the reasons that Ike described, he pretty much covered it. I could add a couple of things that I noticed on my friends cars , but will refrain my observations..It's your bux...........