Thread: What parts would work for my Land Rover?

Default What parts would work for my Land Rover?

I need advice choosing a raised air intake and brush guard for my Land Rover. The challenge is that it's a combination of different styles so I'm not sure what will work best or is most appropriate. The vehicle is British spec and was completely refurbished in England in 2002. Do you think you can help me out identifying the main components/body? My best guess is that it is a Series III Stage I body and dash on a Defender chassis (complete w/ coils instead of leaf springs) with the associated drive train and engine. I want to make sure the brush guard is not too heavy and I would eventually like to add a winch and Hella lights on it. Thanks very much for your help.
    Frank Lorch
    P.S. I'd be interested in product testing the new locking cubby box too.
    Last edited by florch; 02-03-2009 at 03:52 PM.

twisties~South Lake Tahoe tarmac rallye style

Hi, welcome to the forum. This posting has been moved to a more appropriate location.

Read here >> http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2895

How to post photos in-line, rather than attaching them.

1. Go to any free photo hosting site like http://www.flickr.com or any other paid webserver photo posting service, like http://www.mac.com for instance.

2. Upload your photos.

3. After you upload your photo on your new webserver space, have the image you want on your browser (preferably the right sized one too) and right click (or control click on a Mac) on the photo, and "Copy Image Location".

4. Buzz over here to the RoversNorth forum and go to the thread you want to post the photo into. Or you can start a new thread, or "Quote", or "Reply" in an existing thread.

5. In the WYSIWYG editing box where you type the message, there are little icons across the top - click on and then paste in the "Copy Image Location" URL from step 4. This will "link" your photo (hosted on your webserver account) to the RoversNorth forum.

As for the LOC Box, I suggest you contact Mark directly at 1-800-403-7591.
    Cheers, Thompson
    Art & Creative Director, Rovers Magazine
    Rovers North, Inc.

It could be a 110 chassis, but it is probably a 109 coil spring conversion chassis. The seller should have provided that info.

For the parts you are concerned about it doesn't really matter. A series bumper or bullbar will fit and so will a defender bumper.

Most snorkels involve at least a little modification and cutting. If you have a non standard truck that just means you can expect it to be a little more work. Just make sure you get one plumbed for dual carbs. A stage1 kit would probably be the best starting point.

Default Thanks for the help

I appreciate your good advice. I was hoping someone who works at Rovers North might offer some assistance on product selection as well but it doesn't look like they peruse these boards too often.

Default Nice truck

Hi frank

I think was the truck on ebay a few weeks back from utah.

How does she run and drive?

Do you mine telling me what you ended up getting it for $ wise?

-Tim

I haven't put it on Ebay...yet. I'm in Charlotte, NC. It runs/drives great and is in pristine condition. Offers will be considered if interested.

I see you have wing top vents. Use a wing top entry snorkel. Easy to fit. I have one on my 110 V8. No drilling or cutting required.

twisties~South Lake Tahoe tarmac rallye style

Quote Originally Posted by florch
    I need advice choosing a raised air intake and brush guard for my Land Rover. The challenge is that it's a combination of different styles so I'm not sure what will work best or is most appropriate. The vehicle is British spec and was completely refurbished in England in 2002. Do you think you can help me out identifying the main components/body? My best guess is that it is a Series III Stage I body and dash on a Defender chassis (complete w/ coils instead of leaf springs) with the associated drive train and engine. I want to make sure the brush guard is not too heavy and I would eventually like to add a winch and Hella lights on it. Thanks very much for your help.
    Frank Lorch
    P.S. I'd be interested in product testing the new locking cubby box too.
    Hi Frank, sorry I missed these Qs of yours, I was trying to help you with the photo linking help you needed.

Rovers North suggestions are...

1. Raised Air intake
    I would suggest using a Mantec raised air intake for your Defender 110. Because you have wing vents the Defender 90 NAS version will work fine. Mounting the upright tube along the windscreen will need to be modified unless the vehicle has an external roll cage. Rovers North is the official USA stockist for Mantec UK.

MANTEC RAISED AIR INTAKE - DEFENDER 90 NAS

2. Winch Bumper
    Camel Trophy style winch bumper with Husky Superwinch 10,000 is my recommendation. Available in kit form or seperately. This is already set up with recovery points to accept tow jaws and other recovery gear.

WINCH KIT HUSKY 10,000 90/110 MANTEC BUMPER

MANTEC WINCH BUMPER FOR HUSKY 8,500 & 10,000 LB WINCHES DEFENDER 90/110

3. Winch
    Superwinch 10,000 or 8,000 lb worm gear drive with roller fairlead.

SUPERWINCH - HUSKY 10 w/ROLLER FAILEAD

SUPERWINCH - HUSKY 8 w/ROLLER FAIRLEAD

4. Brush Guard
    Mounts on the bumper. Mantec Camel Trophy style. We have this arriving due here on 3/11. If you would like the Camel Trophy Brush guard my suggestion would be to place the order for this now as they go fast.

CAMEL TROPHY BAR DEFENDER 90/110

5. Based on your photos, looks correct for chassis set up, body configuration, engine, and drivetrain.

6. Hella Lights
    Depending upon what's legal in your state, a good match with the Camel Trophy brush guard is the new Hella Rallye 4000 series and Rallye 4000 compacts. If you need total waterproof lighting the Hella HydroLUX works. For a less expensive route, the Hella Rallye 1000s are good. Again, check your state laws for installing additional driving lights.

Note: Fitting a heavy duty winch and bumper will increase the weight on the front coil suspension and you might need to install a heavy duty suspension kit, and or springs and shocks to cope with this load.

I hope this helps, please call a sales person with any more questions at 1-800-403-7591.
    Cheers, Thompson
    Art & Creative Director, Rovers Magazine
    Rovers North, Inc.