Thread: Weber 34ICH Tuning for Dummies

Default Weber 34ICH Tuning for Dummies

I am running a Weber 34ICH and getting crummy mileage. I certainly don't expect it to be like a Toyota Prius, but it's pretty bad.

I have never tuned the carb, and I want to teach myself. I have searched this site and others for guidance, but can't seem to find "easy" step-by-step instructions.

Can anyone lay it out (short of recommending installation of a Solex or Rochester) in an easily understandable fashion or point to a site, etc. that explains the carb components, diagrams, etc.?

Thanks!

Chris

-L

'72 SIII SW 88"
    '60 SII 88" RHD

Default Bad link

Looks like this link is bad now. Does anyone have a link to a good tuning guide for the 34 ICH?

Mmh, now that I post for help I found this

http://www.redlineweber.com/html/Tec...CT_tunning.htm

thanks,
    charles

Most important part of dialing in the Weber 34ICH is to make sure the ignition is setup rock solid correctly before touching any adjustment on the carb. Make sure the points are gapped correctly, the timing is spot on, and all ignition components are in good condition. If ya try and adjust the carb with the ignition off it'll be pointless because it'll never be right no matter how much you fiddle with it.

The only adjustment you can do is the idle by the idle mixture screw and of course alter the rpm of idle with the throttle adjustment screw. Beyond that you'll need to replace jets to alter how the carb runs after idle.

I've gotten 17 mpg with the Weber 34 ICH.
    Walker
    1968 Series IIA-"Ronnie"
    88" SW, 2.25L Petrol, LHD

Default Weber carb rebuild

You might want to try this:
    http://www.aloharovers.com/tech/ichoverhaul.htm

Enjoy.

Cheers from Mexico.

Gilberto
    1969 RHD Lightweight "Gwen"

Agreed I need to make sure it's ignition setup is good first, and I will. The only problem I have right now is it will not idle without some choke. I'd just like to better understand how it should work and be prepared. I tried adjusting the idle mixture and it really had no effect (event for a lot of turns like 8 out).

I have looked at the aloha rover page but will revisit it.

I like the "HowStuffWorks" web site for gaining a general understanding of the principals of different systems.

Carburetor
    http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question377.htm

If you were looking for more specifics then aloha's site is a good read.
    Walker
    1968 Series IIA-"Ronnie"
    88" SW, 2.25L Petrol, LHD

Default Same experience

I bet the poor idle is due to trash in the idle jet. I've had that problems several time before. Look on the side of the carb for the big screw - better yet look at an exploded diagram - and back it out -it's a bit like a long tube when it's out - and you can blow the trash out with "mouth pressure"

Hope this helps

PS it is on the right side of the carb