Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weber carb accelerator linkage backwards?

Default Weber carb accelerator linkage backwards?

OK, this might be the dumbest question yet.

I fitted my brand new weber 34ICH today. After dealing with all sorts of nagging issues, I went to crank it over. After a try or two it lights off, but then instantly starts to red-line.

Looking everything over, it looks like something's wrong with the accelerator linkage. My linkage pushes the lever up when you press the pedal. The weber wants the lever pulled down to accelerate.

In fact, I can start it right up by flooring the pedal and holding it there, which idles the truck. When I start to let off of the pedal, is starts to accelerate.

Obviously something got screwed up along the way. I don't see any way to re-work the pedal, and I don't see any way to re-work the carb.

Of course, Rovers North closes at noon eastern on saturdays, so they were closed before the box even arrived at my door this morning.

Has anyone heard of this before? Am I just have an epic blonde moment???

twisties~South Lake Tahoe tarmac rallye style

Rovers North might be closed at noon today, but I'm still here! Best will be to see a photo of what you've hooked up. I'll try my best to help you through.

Worst case scenario, I'll either find the sales manager and IM or email him tonight, or go to Rovers North tomorrow and hope that someone else is there to help me dig a little deeper.
    Cheers, Thompson
    Art & Creative Director, Rovers Magazine
    Rovers North, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by TSR53
    Rovers North might be closed at noon today, but I'm still here! Best will be to see a photo of what you've hooked up. I'll try my best to help you through.

Worst case scenario, I'll have to go to Rovers North tomorrow and hope that someone else is there to help me dig a little deeper.
    Give me 10 seconds, and I will have a pic for ya!!!

THANKS!

Woah! This rings a bell......

I've never had to swtich carbs, all my Series always came w/ Webers on 'em, but.....

I do recall something about, when a Weber is put on replacing a certain carb, you have to change the way the arm pulls....

I can't say if it was where a Solex or the Zenith was being replaced, but I would say, if you can get someone else to step on the pedal, see where the lever is, then as they left off, which way it moves, you will want to disconnect the linkage, rotate the springed-lever to the other direction, so it will function the other way....

(Did that make sense?)
    -L

'72 SIII SW 88"
    '60 SII 88" RHD

OK, here are some pics. I have a thought that I might be able to go adjust the linkage on the side of the carb, I will go look at that in a second.

The first pic shows the solex I took off and the weber next to each other. You can see the accelerator levers next to each other, and the Solex is in the "down" position, and the Weber is in the "Up" position.

The other three just show how it's sitting in the truck, with no foot on the accelerator. When you press down on the accelerator, it presses "up" on the linkage.

Sorry it took a while longer than I thought because I had to compress the files down to a size the forum would accept.

Well, I thought I might have been able to loosen the nut that connects the linkage to the throttle butterfly valve, and re-position it so that it sits at idle when the pedal is not pressed. Thar would work, except that when someone would go to press on the gas, the linkage is still moving the wrong way and would try to press it "less" than idle, if that makes sense.

Hey navydevildoc,

Was the carb you removed from your Rover an old Solex? Series II and early IIAs came equipped with Solex carbs that had a throttle arm that moved up when depressing the accelerator pedal. When converting to a new Weber (whose arm is pulled down) in addition to installing the adapter base http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-6...nith-carb.aspx you also need to change the bellcrank http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-1...s-iia-iii.aspx in order to change the direction that the arm moves.

Hope this helps....I'll be online for awhile tonight if you have any additional questions.

Arthur Patsouris
    Sales Manager
    Rovers North, Inc.

Oops...don't know what happened to my links. Here they are again:
    In addition to the bellcrank I forgot to mention a new spring to reverse the tension on the linckage.

See numbers 16 and 25.

http://www.roversnorth.com/store/c-34-carburetor.aspx

Arthur Patsouris
    Sales Manager
    Rovers North, Inc

Quote Originally Posted by acpatsouris
    Hey navydevildoc,

Was the carb you removed from your Rover an old Solex? Series II and early IIAs came equipped with Solex carbs that had a throttle arm that moved up when depressing the accelerator pedal. When converting to a new Weber (whose arm is pulled down) in addition to installing the adapter base also need to change the bellcrank in order to change the direction that the arm moves.

Hope this helps....I'll be online for awhile tonight if you have any additional questions.
    OK, now we are cooking with gas!

I went back and looked at the packing list, since Eric knew I was pulling off a Solex. Seemed like a rather large thing to forget. Plus, I had gotten a spring in the box that I had to idea what to do with. On the packing list *is* the bellcrank!

So I went back through the shredded paper packing, and sure enough there is the bellcrank!!! So now I just have to get it on there. Sure enough, the spring is part of the bellcrank assy.

Once again, Rovers North is saving the day!

twisties~South Lake Tahoe tarmac rallye style

I was on checking the forum and nicked a whole ton-o-spam, then read your plea. I IM'd Arthur (luckily he was on...) and you just received special Rovers North customer assistance all the way from Vermont > San Diego at 8pm on a Saturday night. We are here to help.
    Cheers, Thompson
    Art & Creative Director, Rovers Magazine
    Rovers North, Inc.