Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gas Question

Default Gas Question

Does land rover needs premium gas? I been driving fro 2 years on 87. No problem so far. Would it be better if I do use premium? I have DII with 102,000 I want to keep it as long as I can I am in love with that car

Default Gas Question

I spoke with mechanic today, he believes that Discovery II engine was designed for the lowest gas. He sad there is no need for premium

Read the manual,

My 04's manual says to use premium as reduced performance and economy will result if you use lower octane gas. i haven't tried it yet, but i run 87 in my 97 with out a hitch and get better gas mileage out of it.

I believe all Discos are able to run lower octane gas due to the knock sensor, but they are designed to run premium.
    First but gone: 91 3 door Disco "White Rhino"
    77 Series III 88 ex MoD "Shongololo"
    Gone and I miss her: 97 D1 5 speed
    04 DII
    08 D3 (LR3)

Man, I have looked into this before, and everything I have ever read speaks about the need for premium as it burns cooler. With the aluminum block and all the talk of the accompanying troubles with it, I guess I have been terrorized into complying, and using the premium.

I have been dumping tons of jack into my '02's tank for years now, and I guess I do it because it is my wife's DD and the only reliable transportation in the family.

After reading this, as soon as we get a more reliable vehicle in the family, I'm going straight 87, baby.
    "I can't believe I'm sitting here, completely surrounded by no beer!" -Onslow

The lower grades of gas have fewer engine cleaning additives, and they are a lot more likely to leave yo with carbon fouling trouble. In addition, the lower octane fuel results in higher combustion temps, which markedly increases the chance of liner failure in the motor.

If the use of cheap gas costs you a motor or even a valve job the savings aren't worth it.

I found this article in Scientific American

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=...tion-premium-g

Quote Originally Posted by Ilya
    I found this article in Scientific American

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=...tion-premium-g
    Note it says for vehicles designed for premimum/high octane. Vehicles that state to use "regular" octane fuel will not bennefit at all from high test at all.

Our rovers are able to digest any thanks to the knock sensor which detunes the engine via the ECU, but they are designed to run high test.

Of course i just contradicted my statement about running 87 in my 97. It still gets the same if not better gas mileage than with 92, but i normally put a full tank of high test once a month through her.

If you think about it, there isnt that huge a difference.

87 @ 1.99 a gal vs 92 @ 2.23 a gal. (what we have here right now)

Disco tank 25 gal.

25 gal of 87 @ 1.99 = 49.75

25 gal of 92 @ 2.23 = 55.75

a difference of: $6

If your really worried about an extra $6 every time you fill up you might want to look at other ways to save fuel.
    First but gone: 91 3 door Disco "White Rhino"
    77 Series III 88 ex MoD "Shongololo"
    Gone and I miss her: 97 D1 5 speed
    04 DII
    08 D3 (LR3)

I don't know if the fuel type makes any difference but i run premium in both my rovers and get a consistent 14.8 mpg in my disco and 14.5 in my classic, unless of course my 16 year old daughter is driving. So I will keep using premium with the belief it is keeping my rigs running at their best.
    What good are rubber mats if you are not willing to get them muddy.

95 RR LWB
    04 Discovery

Quote Originally Posted by Robison Service
    If the use of cheap gas costs you a motor or even a valve job the savings aren't worth it.
    Just figured I would drop in my two cents....

I ran 87 oct in my 99 DI for about 6 months last summer.

In the fall, I heard a lower engine knocking when warm.

This truck has never had any problems and I thought I may had spun a bearing or something....turns out I toasted the cat!

Reg is not worth it! In my 97 DI....179K Original Cat and o2's....always used 91 or higher
    "Out of every one hundred men, ten should not even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back"

If I wanted to save money on gas I would not be driving Discovery II. I am going to try to use premium for several month to see is there are any difference. As I wrote I been using 87 for the past 2 years. No major issues. I saw errors such as misfire few times, but I am not sure that relates to the gas.