Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Found One!

Default Found One!

Hey Gang,
    Just thought I'd share some good news-
    I found a Rover in North Carolina that, baring any major issues, is about to have a new home in Virginia!

Its a 1972 III LHD that appears to be in wonderful condition.

I say "appears" because I am buying it sight unseen, with a catch. When the current owner and I spoke, she mentioned that Tony Kipling from Old English Cars had been doing the service. I know Tony's name as a very reputable mechanic and restoration guy in the area - he is British and specializes in trucks from his native country.

The sale is contingent on an inspection from another guy I trust a lot, Sean Jones from Blueridge Rover Works - I wanted an impartial opinion and Sean has worked on a friend's series in the past.

Assuming it vets out, then I feel great about the price and even better about the the truck and couldn't wait to share the excitement with the "gurus" here.

It felt somewhat bizarre to buy something so important sight unseen - but I had heard many other stories here about other folks doing the same. Finger's crossed that the inspection won't reveal anything that will present conflict.. but I think I'm back in the Rover world!

I'll say "thank you" now to everyone who offered advice during the search...but know this: I'll be asking a lot more questions as I learn and grow with this thing You arn't done with me yet...

Pics here:

The rest of the set - as taken by the current owner
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/nickdaw...7617313714105/

I am curious what people think about the appearance of slights surface (is there such thing?) rust on the transfer tunnel

p.s. I think a guy with a shop called "Blueridge Rover Works" knows what to look for - but anything specific I should request? Compression test for instance?

The surface rust doesn't look bad, definitely have the mechanic check the footwells as those look like brand spanking new rubber floormats which could be a nice addition or put there to hide rusty footwells or bad repairs to the footwells.

Brent
    1958 107 SW - Sold to a better home
    1965 109 SW - nearly running well
    1966 88 SW - running but needing attention
    1969 109 P-UP

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=64cfe23aa2

Quote Originally Posted by LaneRover
    The surface rust doesn't look bad, definitely have the mechanic check the footwells as those look like brand spanking new rubber floormats which could be a nice addition or put there to hide rusty footwells or bad repairs to the footwells.

Brent
    Thanks Brent - me search as taught me a lot about rust foot wells - they are usually a sign of a rotted bulkhead

Sean writes well about Land Rovers and clearly has a lot of personal experience with them. Smart move on your part to have an independent inspection. And you know the long list of recommended points for inspection, too.

Good luck - I hope it works out for you. Don't hink those are original wheels - which does not matter.

Jeff
    Jeff Aronson
    Vinalhaven, ME 04863
    '66 Series II-A SW 88"
    '66 Series II-A HT 88"
    '80 Triumph TR-7 Spider
    '80 Triumph Spitfire
    '66 Corvair Monza Coupe
    http://www.landroverwriter.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Aronson
    Good luck - I hope it works out for you. Don't hink those are original wheels - which does not matter.

Jeff
    I might be mistaken but im pretty sure those are new goodyear G90's on wolf rims most likley sourced from George at RDS. IMO thats a good thing. Many people upgrade to those rims later on anyway.

-Rob
    ------------------------------------------------
    72 SIII 88
    67 SIIA 109
    82 SIII Stage 1 V8
    -- http://www.youtube.com/barnfind88 --

Thanks all
    Curious what other things stick out as being "different"?

For instance, the mirrors look like defender mirrors to me - or am I mistaken?

I've seen some IIIs with the door hinges painted and others without. LRFAQ.org seems moot on the point.

It has been painted so check for body filler! In the rear tub sides where the seatbelt mounting system causes corrosion, also at the bulkhead top corners. Good luck!!

+1 for Sean Jones- he's a good, honest guy. Good luck- and I hope it turns out to be a nice one. If not don't worry- there will be others.
    1960 Series II SWB
    1994 NAS D90 ST
    1963 SIIa SWB (sold)
    1971 SIIa SWB (sold)
    2000 Disco SII (sold)
    1995 RR Classic (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Broadstone
    It has been painted so check for body filler! In the rear tub sides where the seatbelt mounting system causes corrosion, also at the bulkhead top corners. Good luck!!
    Looks like a 20 footer to me. Why would you paint the rubber plugs on the trans cover? Trim has been painted as well.

All Series trucks look good in pics. I'd still never buy one sight unseen... First thing you don't do if you want to keep you $$$...

Quote Originally Posted by NickDawson
    Thanks all
    Curious what other things stick out as being "different"?
    Anti-burst door latches

Chassis outrigger repairs

Side step welded to outrigger instead of being bolted/screwed to it (I can't remember which)

Registration plate (in dash tray) from a vehicle first registered between 8/74 and 7/75

Since your state and the seller's state touch, I'd spend the money on a tank of gas and see the vehicle in person before I part with my money. Lots of relatively recent asthetic stuff--Shiny new paint, brand new wheels and tires, floor mats, front leaf springs, bright new galvanizing (or silver paint on the galvanized stuff--I can't tell) and (possibly) new upholstry. These could be red flags or it could mean nothing.

Of course, If you're getting a great deal on in it may not matter one way or another.
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).