Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: Found One!

Yeah. What he said!

Quote Originally Posted by adkrover
    Yeah. What he said!

Default Next ones for Nick

Nick,
    Lawrie here up in Vermont - My container arrived Tuesday am, all paperwork clean, customs only sniffed around for an hour at border. I unloaded 40' container in 70 minutes (three Series 3's, 8 engines, gearboxes, pick up cabs, hoops, miltary gas tanks,odd old and hard to ship bits typically not easily available from our hosts. I am organising, and will take pictures, write-up and get off to you.
    I have skimmed through this thread and the previous one of yours and think I may have a truck for you and what many on this thread hit on:
    Galvy chassis, stock set up, regular use and MOT history showing truck is getting attention, normal upkeep, no new/fancy paint to hide anything.
    I have:
    two - S3, RHD, galvy chassis, straight, no wierd mods, marine blue/limestone, parobolic springs, recent MOT,
    one is 2.25 diesel - new chassis, brake pipes,.. clean up in 2005 (and to my shock it is NOT smoky, actually quite peppy (seller did say it was rebuilt, but I usually don't believe it unless I have proof, as a UK rebuild may mean a valve job - sorry Brits but i am not far off when it come to old iron)
    one is 2.25 petrol - new chassis, springs, pipes, petrol tank, good quality paint job, new deluxe seats, roof rack and ladder in 2004.

I need to dig deeper, drive around abit before i settle on price, want to be fair as they need tinkering, and dollars - but are solid base to learn, invest in, rather than something that will be a liability in a few years. I am thinking ~$6 - 7 k. I will list on for sale section.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrie
    Nick,
    I usually don't believe it unless I have proof, as a UK rebuild may mean a valve job - sorry Brits but i am not far off when it come to old iron)
    Lawrie that is a pretty universal statement no matter where in the world you look. One man's rebuild is another man's half arsed overhaul.

Quote Originally Posted by NickDawson
    Is this a bug eye? Looks like one to me... pricey but guy sounds motovated
    Hey. New guy here. Yes it's a Bugeye. I just bought it. Love it.

...and yes, the seller was motivated.

steve

Quote Originally Posted by 69Bugeye
    Hey. New guy here. Yes it's a Bugeye. I just bought it. Love it.

...and yes, the seller was motivated.

steve
    Nicely done!
    Must be why I couldn't get him to return my calls

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrie
    Lawrie here up in Vermont - My container arrived Tuesday
    Lawrie - looking forward to some more info, thanks for keeping me posted!

Just got back from being out of town and playing catchup...

looking at the new listings on ebay...
    This guy sounds interesting - but I've become distrustful of anyone who makes claims about the frame and bulkhead... anyone in Waxahachie, Texas? Also what is a "military engine"?

and of course, there's there whole RHD/import issue... but I'm hearing some success stories lately that make me think it is possible to find worthwhile imported trucks...

Nick,

A glance at the EBay seller's description and photos hints to you he is not a Land Rover enthusiast. Misspelling the "Fairey" overdrive is an unlikely no-no for any Land Rover owner. I'm going out on a limb to say it's not a typo, but a lack of knowledge.

Also, the interior door panels really look like the gray ones with the arm rests from a Series II-A, not the black ones that came with the Series III. It's not a big issue, but it leads to questions about the originality of the Rover.

As for the "military" engine, it's likely a replacement one put in by the previous owner - thus the 20,000 miles. The Ministry of Defense would buy engines to support their Land Rovers; at times, they would sell off surplus stock. As the Series III no longer plays a role in the British military, you could get new MOD engines as "drop in" replacements. The 5-main bearing model is the same that went into the Series III as well as, I think, the later II-A models. The extra 2 bearings should help it last longer.

On the plus side, a solid bulkhead and frame and a newer engine [hopefully broken in properly and well-maintained since] gets you off to a reliable start.

Good luck,

Jeff
    Jeff Aronson
    Vinalhaven, ME 04863
    '66 Series II-A SW 88"
    '66 Series II-A HT 88"
    '80 Triumph TR-7 Spider
    '80 Triumph Spitfire
    '66 Corvair Monza Coupe
    http://www.landroverwriter.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Aronson
    Nick,

Misspelling the "Fairey" overdrive is an unlikely no-no for any Land Rover owner. I'm going out on a limb to say it's not a typo, but a lack of knowledge.
    It's hard to tell, since the seller had a bit of trouble with the word "military" as well....
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).