Thread: fuel pump

Default fuel pump

If I could bother anyone with some help. I have a 1996 Discovery 5 speed with 209000 miles. The truck just stopped. I have no fuel pressure at the rail. I checked the fuse, relay, roll over switch and are all good. I have power to the pump and a good ground. I pulled the pump and tried to see if it would run if I hooked it directly to a battery. The pump ran ok that way. After putting the pump back in, I checked the volts to the pump and all was well. Just wouldn't run. So I tried to see if the pump would run directly hooked to a battery while installed. (I tried this same method earlier) This time no go. I wondering if I need a new pump or is it something else I missed. Don't want to just throw money at it with out hooking up test bookin this economic climate.

Thanks

Adam

check filter ,reglator and your return line my be pluged

Make sure you are getting a good connection at the pump. On my 95 RRC, one day it would not start and I found the connection not making good contact at the pump, one of those connectors was spread apart.
    Kevin

04 XJ8
    92 RRC
    02 Benz E320

95 RRC (sold 5/10)
    72 Series 3 (sold 4/10)
    70 Series 2A (sold 6/10)
    Morgan +8 (sold 8/09)
    90 Jetta (308k miles) (sold 5/11)
    72 Triumph Stag (sold 1/08

check your connections for sure.... also when your testing the pump make sure its submerged.... really bad for them to be run dry. might disconnect the outward line and try it to see if it'll push into a container; rule out any kind of line clogs/problems... honestly if you've got it out last summer I replaced just the pump part of mine (and screen) for $20-30 from local auto parts store just matched the flow and found something that'd fit the assembly. cheaper than replacing the whole assembly