Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Most Miserable Repair on a Series Land Rover?

I haven't had the pleasure of really getting in there and replacing alot of parts so far. I have done alittle bit. My most frustrating evolution was the full canvas top. Not because of the truck, because of the help. Just after Christmas last year I received the top in the mail. (UPS man doesn't like us). So of course I have to change out the old, white, moldy, saggy top. But I need a couple extra hands. Mom's watching the little one, 10yo son is spending the night with a friend, husband is on det (again), the 12yo daughter is upstairs locked in her room doing god knows what. So I think this over.....and decide, against the little better judgement voice in my head, to use my girl. I am greated with rolled eyes and a look that makes me think I'm from another planet. But she comes out to help. Remember, just after Christmas, GNW area, there is actually snow on the ground, and about 19* out. But, I have to get this new good looking top on the truck. I have already removed the old one so I ask her to put it in the dumpster while I open the new one up. After I open the new one, put the cardboard in recycle, and the old top in the dumpster, we begin. It's a canvas top, how hard can that be? Well, those little clips above the wind screen can be tough. I get all the clips and rope lined up and ask her to pull the canvas back towards the gate. Pull? What? It's dirty. So I state that it just come out of the box, it's not dirty. I look back to the bed and see she is nowhere in sight. She's sitting in front of the heater in the garage. By the time she makes it back into the back of the truck, the wind had blown the top around abit and I have to start over with step one. This was to be the norm for the entire replacement. Well, 4 hours later, I am done, she is still very warm, and I have a nice looking new truck. Sorry this was so long. Kristi.
    Kristi
    1969 Series IIa 109
    1970 Series Wagon
    1974 1/2 MGB
    2004 Disco II-last of her kind

doing anything in 19* would be classified as a worse repair experience but to do it with a 12 y/o as an assistant, dang!. i recall the pain of using my 17 y/o daughter to help pull my spitfire engine and we were in the garage on a nice day.
    '64 Series IIA 88 Canvas Tilt
    '68 Series IIA RHD Ambulance
    '76 Spitfire 1500
    '07 LR3 (Series Recovery Vehicle)

I know what the most miserable repair on a Series is;
    It's anything that you think should be no problem!
    94 D-90 tdi
    72 Series III