Thread: What is the best winch for a Land Rover?

thumb-up What is the best winch for a Land Rover?

Personally I have a MileMarkey 12k for my Range Rover..... But I bought it cause it was cheap, and I know little about winches, feel free to tell me what is your favorite and why, and how much is it? I think we can all benefit from this
    Check out my Land Rover Off Road site LROffroad.com!

I also have a Mile Marker 12k on my RRC.
    On my Series I have a Mile Marker 8k
    Kevin

04 XJ8
    92 RRC
    02 Benz E320

95 RRC (sold 5/10)
    72 Series 3 (sold 4/10)
    70 Series 2A (sold 6/10)
    Morgan +8 (sold 8/09)
    90 Jetta (308k miles) (sold 5/11)
    72 Triumph Stag (sold 1/08

its hard to beat the reliability and speed of a Warn 8274. I have one of the first versions of this called that warn took from Bellvue (not sure on spelling) winch company. it sat in a field for 20+ years, I mounted it on my truck and plugged it in and it worked. it is also entirely cable actuated so there are no solenoids.
    I also have a warn M8000 that needs a new motor, but worked well for a long time.
    My main winch is a Mile Marker 10,500lb hydraulic that works great, I set up a separate hydraulic pump and plow valving with cable actuation so there are no electronics. with the correct pump it pulls fast too.

Glad to hear more people knew about the MileMarker's.. I love my 12k, but, why are Warn Winches so expensive? I could only assume that they are using more expensive parts because they seem to price themselves out of the question most of the time
    Check out my Land Rover Off Road site LROffroad.com!

In general, what I have found is that Warn products have a faster published line speed that many other brands - especially the Mile Markers.

Some folks I have talked to say that fast line speed is good - others say it is bad.
    Firemanshort
    1980 Stage One
    (Past owner of 1973 Series III - Highlander)

it is really rice to have a fast line speed so that when you are winching and driving you dig yourself in less, also not as frustrating.

Some of the expensive warns do use a very good motor, the 9.5XP. It can also be retrofitted to an 8274 to make a beast of a winch. I had the original motor on my 8274 rebuilt locally and it has never let me down.
    The Goat, 2.8 Daihatsu Td, '73 coil conversion