Thread: How does one reinstall the spare tire mount?

Unhappy How does one reinstall the spare tire mount?

Hello All-

Does anyone know how to reinstall the spare tire mount on an '04 Disco? Do you have to remove the inner door panel to screw the bolts into some type of interior nut? If so, how does one remove the door panel without damaging anything?

I just removed the spare tire mount on the back of my '04 Disco yesterday and of course didn't realize that there must be some type of nut inside the door panel that holds the mount in place. Wouldn't you know when I went to reinstall it, there was nothing there to screw the bolts into. I figure the nuts must have dropped somewhere inside the panel (even though I didn't hear anything drop).

Yep, the bolts attach to nuts inside the panel.

It sounds like they fell down inside the door when you removed the bolts.

The interior trim panel is held in with little plastic clips that are ribbed and catch on the mounting hole. When slowly and carefully pried out, they just pop loose.

Just use a large, flat and thin pry bar, like a large flathead screwdriver.

No matter how careful you are, some of the clips will break.

Replacements should be available at RN or the dealer.

Hope this helps!
    Stu

'01 D2

Default Interior panel clips

As I should have suspected before removing the mount. Thanks for the info stu454. I'll be sure to order some spare clips from RN.

Was able to reattach the spare tire mount the other day - thanks Stu. Using info that I downloaded off of the GTR website and your info, I was able to take the interior trim panel off without damaging any of the clips.