Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Update on My '65 Gray Rover - Electronics Work! Seized? Not sure..

When I put Marvel oil in the cylinders of my 61 series II, I couldn't turn the crank either. I took the spark plugs out, then I was able to turn the engine over by hand. I think the oil in the cylinders was causing too much pressure for me to turn the engine. Try taking the spark plugs out and see if you can turn the hand crank.

Default Try Diesel

I've used diesel to free up engines. It is usually cheaper than the fancy weasel piss. Put it in the cylinders and let it sit overnight then give it a try with the hand crank. It's not fancy but it should work unless the cylinder is really f'd.

Default Brake Fluid

try cheap brake fluid.....works great

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Bostonian1976
    ...nothing has been touched on this truck
    except for the homemade rear crossmember, relocated ashtray and relocated headlight dimmer.

cheers
    DaveB in DC
    A Land Rover would never turn up to collect an Oscar. It'd be far too busy doing something important, somewhere, for someone."

Quote Originally Posted by daveb
    except for the homemade rear crossmember, relocated ashtray and relocated headlight dimmer.

cheers
    DaveB in DC
    pretty minor for a 42 year old truck, wouldn't you say?

tell me about this relocated headlight dimmer?

Don't forget to turn your headlights off when you connect your battery. The picture you have shows the switch as in H position. H is for Headlights.

Good luck with it and let us know how it goes.

Tim

Default update

update....couldn't crank engine. Then again it was sunk down a bit into the ground and the tires were flat, so getting underneath it was very difficult. In the end, I didn't get a great angle and will have to try again. I pumped a lot more Marvel into the cylinders, so I hope that helps. Kroil the next step maybe?

update on this:

- apparently the fan was stuck and I've been tugging on that the whole time. Finally freed the fan and it spins freely now. Still haven't gotten the flywheel to turn, but it's difficult to get under the truck with so much snow and the fact that it has sunk into the ground a little bit.

Well don't be in a hurry, let the penetrants do their work. and play with it when the weather improves.
    Last edited by yorker; 03-23-2007 at 04:45 PM.
    1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Bostonian1976
    pretty minor for a 42 year old truck, wouldn't you say?

tell me about this relocated headlight dimmer?

the thing to the lower right of the hand throttle where the starter button should be. and yes, minor, depending on what is in front of thagt rear crossmember. guessing if they didn't go to the trouble of procuring a real crossmember then the bodged repairs don't go too much further forward.
    A Land Rover would never turn up to collect an Oscar. It'd be far too busy doing something important, somewhere, for someone."