Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Legalizing a Defender 110

Default Legalizing a Defender 110

I have a question regarding licensing and registration of a defender 110. I realize that the 1993 D110 is the only legal defender at this time in the US. However, I am looking at restoring/customizing a 110 and am not sure how to go about it so I can drive all over the US and even into Canada/ Mexico without getting in trouble. I have been told from people that if I buy a used series and have the DOT come and look at the vin# and replace it on a new chassis, I can build my 110 as long as I register the vehicle as a series? (because a series is 25 years old) I have also been told by a company that they can build a defender on a range rover chassis (1993) as long as I register the vehicle as a 1993 range rover. I am in a serious dilemma based on concerns of licensing/ insurance etc. Thanks, KJO

Once you have sorted the legality at home you will be able to visit Canada without any trouble as visitors can operate vehicles that are compliant with their home laws provided they are safe for the road and carry liabilty insurance of at least can$2 million.

John

Default Legalizing A 110

Hello KJO,

I personally think you are dealing with a potential problem. So called Grey market vehicles of any sort are a potential liability. Resale is usuallly poor, especially when the real thing becomes avaiable in the next couple of years. It is just a bunch of bits not the real thing. Also people see what you are doing and the risk of being ratted out is high.

Spend your time looking fixing up a Series II for resale and then buy your 110 in a couple of years when they are legal. I live in Canada where we have a 15 year rule. I bought a nice 110 in Switzerland last year for $5,000 that had a nice easy life with the Postal Service.

Patience I hear is a virture and definitely a must for a Land Rover owner.

Roverlover
    Vancouver, BC

Would'nt the cost of "building one " be so much ,that looking for a good 93 110 be a better bargain ?

Quote Originally Posted by sayers
    Would'nt the cost of "building one " be so much ,that looking for a good 93 110 be a better bargain ?
    It depends.

Since there were only 500 or so of the '93 NAS 110's, they still command a premium. I've seen them sell for as low as the mid-30's by someone who was honest and reasonable, but usually they're still going in the mid-40's to mid-50's, crazily enough. One sold at Barrett Jackson for 80k last month.

So, it depends on what skills you have, and how deep your pockets are. If you don't know how to do it, you would probably be better off finding one of the NAS 110's. But if you can weld and do auto-mechanic work, and aren't afraid of getting dirty, and have the time, you can end up with a vehicle for less than what a 110 would cost here.

I have no problem w/ the idea of rebuilding a 109 onto a coiler chassis, making it into a decent hybrid vehicle and a bit more modern than it originally was. I don't have a problem with someone stretching a 90 into a 110. But, swapping vin's is a big no-no... . Do I think it's silly that I can't go find a clean 110 in the UK that's a few years old, and bring it over? Sure... I understand wanting one for a reasonable price, but, it's not legal.

Anyway.... there are ways to do things, legally, if someone has the patience, and the funding. ECR and Skytop's sites are good starting points to learn about the issues, then go from there and learn what else you can. One point I should make, a lot of things will vary from state to state, so, keep that in mind. What I couldn't do in California, I can do here in Tennessee. Knowing the differences is important, so you know what you can do versus what you can't do while keeping yourself legal.

FWIW...
    -L

'72 SIII SW 88"
    '60 SII 88" RHD

Default IMPORTING DEF 90

I have been talking to Skytops about getting my 1992 Def 90 200tdi legal and initial cost estimate is $14-20K. At the moment, i don't know if it would wise to go through the trouble (read $$$$) not to mention convincing the wife that the "noisy truck" is worth bringing back to the US.

I have no doubt that is if went through the process, I could sell the vehicle for what I would put into it if I decided to sell, but why bother? I can sell it here in Italy for the same price and it is already legal.

Default Availablity in US

When will we be able to purchase new D90 or D110 in the US?

Thanks,
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by tcwave
    When will we be able to purchase new D90 or D110 in the US?

Thanks,
    Ted
    Never.

Default Makes no sense

I don't get it, we have millions of illegal immigrents sneaking into this country every year, crossing our borders and then making a living, yet we can't legally import a D90. Makes no sense. Which is a bigger problem?

Has anyone ever gotten caught shipping a d90 to the US as an "offroad" vehicle, then running it on the road somehow? If so, what was the consequence? Perhaps, this is a uninforceable law, like illegal immigration.