Thread: Idle Issues

Default Idle Issues

When starting cold the engine revs high 1100 RPM Then down to 800 RPM. When put into gear the rpms drop and allmost stalls the motor. When the motor is hot I have to hold the gas pedal down while turning the motor in order to start. While at stop signs i have to give it gas so it wont die. Before this problem started I had changed the spark plugs and the motor had gotten wet. Any Ideas

How many miles? Other than plugs what other work has been done?

Last fuel filter change?

Could be a bad fuel pump, or bad injectors or a bad MAF sensor.... not enough info.

Type of air filter being used?
    Joey
    97 Disco
    10 MCCSm
    Custom Rover Accessories
    Home of the D2 horn buttons

125,000 miles, coolent temp and fuel temp sensor has reistance that changes when warm, continuity on stepper motor and cleaned, valve on fuel rail squirts, spark at plugs, K&N air filter cleanded, engine temp sensor goes all the way up when grounded, put cool wet rag on amplifier when eng is warm to cool it down, didnt work, I belive that the eng light came on before it started when the problem first occured. Regaped plugs just incase checked plug wire firing order, where is crank position sensor located thanks Jesse

Sounds like injectors or fuel pump... just because you have fuel at the rail doesn't mean you have enough pressure.

K&N could also cause a bad MAF, try cleaning it

Crank position sensor is IIRC on the drivers side of the engine just behind the exhaust manifold in front of the bell housing, but when it goes bad the engine will not start.

Your issues sounds more like a fuel problem.
    Joey
    97 Disco
    10 MCCSm
    Custom Rover Accessories
    Home of the D2 horn buttons