Thread: 96 Disco turns on but won't stay on

Default 96 Disco turns on but won't stay on

Occasionally my 1996 Discovery turns on, but won't stay on. The starter works normally, the plugs are firing, but unless I press on the gas pedal to keep the RPM high the car shuts off. After almost a minute of reving the engine high, the car stays on and I can drive. I was suspect of the timing chain and had it replaced, but the problem continues. I've used fuel injection cleaners, but the problem continues. I've changed the plugs and wires and still the problem continues. This problem happens whether the car is hot or cold.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks....

My guess is the stepper motor needs to be cleaned. It's a little electrical plunger mounted on the intake that props the butterfly valve open.

http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-3...r-efi-v-8.aspx

10 mm bolts (2) and a can of carb cleaner - clean out the hole in the plenum, too.

Depending on miles... check fuel pressure you may have a bad fuel pump.
    Joey
    97 Disco
    10 MCCSm
    Custom Rover Accessories
    Home of the D2 horn buttons