Thread: steering column WOOOPS!

Default steering column WOOOPS!

Ok so my steering was sloppy so my bud and I adjusted the big nut and small nut.. it was great. I notice that I had a bad leak in the box so I then noticed one of my gaskets was totally gone ( one on the front where the worm gear presses on ). So I unbolted the cover and eyeballed the gasket... it was basically non existent... no worries quick trip to get some cork gasket and cut it out and put it in tomorrow and all is good.....

well...
    we were doing some work freeing up the panels to access the gear box in the cab and we bumped the steering wheel (with the plate off)... big pop... ohh sh*t... worm gear pressed the race out and there goes the bearings.

So... my question is: Is there anyways to put the race and bearings back in with out taking the whole box out (its at a angle)? Please god I hope so. ohh and there now is a steering wheel with all the play in it you want now. any tricks? glue?

bugga!!!

http://www.roversnorth.com/store/c-56-steering-box.aspx <---#8 & 9 the one thats NOT closest to the steering wheel

thanks in advance

what did you loosen to get those bearing to come out?
    '64 Series IIA 88 Canvas Tilt
    '68 Series IIA RHD Ambulance
    '76 Spitfire 1500
    '07 LR3 (Series Recovery Vehicle)

Quote Originally Posted by weatherm View Post
    So... my question is: Is there anyways to put the race and bearings back in with out taking the whole box out (its at a angle)? Please god I hope so. ohh and there now is a steering wheel with all the play in it you want now. any tricks?
    Just smear the bearings and bearing track with grease or petroleum jelly and they'll stick to each other just fine. There should be 10 balls in that bearing. Bear in mind that this end plate is shimmed to give the correct endplay/preload on the end of the steering column and installing a thicker or thinner gasket may affect this. See screenshot of the bible, below:
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

scott: my friend bumped the steering wheel... the worm gear spun and pressed the bearings out

safe air one: awesome ok... its going back together today.

i ask cuz my steering wheel is off, the steering box with column is out and laying on the bench. the back is off the box and the out put shaft is romoved. i'm replacing the out put shaft o-ring. i've kind of been tossing the column and box around in the cleaning and painting process. i didn't even think of it falling apart.
    '64 Series IIA 88 Canvas Tilt
    '68 Series IIA RHD Ambulance
    '76 Spitfire 1500
    '07 LR3 (Series Recovery Vehicle)

Yes it can fall apart!

yeah Its a big mess. I tried pushing the bearings back in but that failed horribly. They stayed in but it still failed. I noticed that the big washer that rolls on the side plate was laying in the steering box (awesome) and I have random ball bearings in there too... I think I have like 20 or so ball bearings now ... (5-10 of which I have no idea where they go)

I put everything back together as good as I good and tried it and got both wheels to turn but had a half turn of free play before I could get them to turn even if I adjusted the adjuster.

Quote Originally Posted by weatherm View Post
    Yes it can fall apart!

yeah Its a big mess...and I have random ball bearings in there too... I think I have like 20 or so ball bearings now ... (5-10 of which I have no idea where they go)
    Those could be the bearings that go to the "recirculating ball" assembly. When you trun the steering wheel, a bunch of ball bearings roll in the grooves of the worm gear on the steering shaft. These balls engage the grooves in the the recirculating tube. It's item 21 (and paragraph 21) in the diagram of the system from my previous post.

If so, the job just became a pain in the butt.
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

I know what your talking about. I think I'm good because those are different sizes and all the ones I have found at the same size so its the upper and lower bearings.

I major question I have is WHAT has to come off to be able to take the steering box and spindle out. I figure the steering wheel and the pitman arm needs taking off and the 4 bolts attaching it to the frame.
    Major question is does the brake booster and clutch master have to come off? I hope not.