Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Got it - 1973 Series III RHD

Nick,

I probably should have been a little more explanitory when I wrote my first post. My intention in posting the how-to will be to show you what youre in for if you ever decide to restore the bed of the truck. It will involve removing the existing floor, removing cleaning and painting the steel stiffeners (yes everyone, I know galv would be better), and making a new floor from the alum sheet. This requires the use of some items that aren't original, but originality on a rover is not a priority for me personally. When I approach a project like this, I like to share how I did it to help others, and get feedback from those who are better at metal working than myself.

In your case, you need to enjoy driving the truck for a while. Do whatever works for you, and makes you happy. Rivet down some aluminum or diamond plate, lay down a sheet of plywood, or just bondo up the holes and put some horse stall mat over it. If you want, just leave them alone, and put the mat over it. Nothing terrible is going to happen overnight, or anytime in the near future if you choose to ignore it for a while. Just have fun driving the truck.
    Travis
    '66 IIa 88

Quote Originally Posted by thixon View Post
    put some horse stall mat over it.

Tractor Supply sells a nice thick mat for about $40. I used it in the back of my truck and it was a perfect fit width wise, just had to cut it for length.
    74 SIII
    96 Disco SE-7 5 Spd.

Thanks. I know how to do it right because i did it when I rebuilt my first 88 back in 96. And I've done others since. Meanwhile the rear bed on my 109 has these holes and also some drilled holes from a tow crane that used to be in there many owners ago. The tub is so beat and dented it isn't worth fixing. The ribbed rubber mat covers everything and I have yet to see a single drop of moisture come around the mat, or have anything fall through the holes. and It has carried engines, transmissions, compelte rear axles, gear, dogs, drunks, laborers, trash, and the contents of several houses and apartments through all kinds of weahter and all kinds of roads and trails. So I guess what I'm saying is that from my actual experience it is not worth the trouble until you go through and replace everything like I did 13 years ago and like Jim and many others have also done.

Anyway, Nick...truck looks good. Drive and enjoy it. Don't do anything drastic. It will tell you what it really needs as you get to know it...and don't fix what ain't broke...you'll be busy enough fixing what is...

Quote Originally Posted by greenmeanie View Post
    A lot of work but if you want to do it right here's Mercedes Jim's thread.
    http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...t=8169&page=30
    A Land Rover would never turn up to collect an Oscar. It'd be far too busy doing something important, somewhere, for someone."

Glad to hear you finally got a truck. Looks like a nice solid platform. Not sure myself if the frame is fully galvanized but I have never seen it (duh) and it will no doubt suit the truck just fine.I think you should definitely consider the holes in the floor a bonus and enjoy driving the truck for the rest of the summer. Then.......pull it into the garage and tear the whole thing apart. It's more fun (but more $ upfront) to do it all at once instead of one piece at a time wherever fate may chose. Welcome.

hey guys
    I have a few qestions about the soft top...

What happens around the doors? I have this flap pulled over the inside stick and tied back, but what about the flap on the ourside, what keeps it flush?

There is a channel in the vertical piece that is behind the door. Slide the top into that and it is held in place by the rope hook which is mounted on the tub just below the galvanized cap. If this doesn't make any sense I'll post a picture.
    Jim