Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wonky Speedometer

Quote Originally Posted by BackInA88 View Post
    Right behind the e-brake on the left side.
    Yup, it was there waiting to stare me right in the face.

I traced it from the transmission to the speedometer and looks pretty easy to replace. Unfortunately, I probably will need to replace as I discovered the problem while tracing it. It was run alongside the exhaust downpipe and the casing has melted in one spot where it must've vibrated against the exhaust.

I did a quick browse of our host's SIII section and didn't see the replacement cable there. Anyone know where it is on the RN site or who else has this part?

I'll run it differently when I reinstall so I don't run into this problem again, naturally.
    rikuwoiku — to travel overland.
    1982 Series III 88" (RHD w/2.8L Daihatsu diesel)
    2002 Discovery II SE

CentreSteer.com — A podcast by, for, and about Land Rover owners. (Panelist & Content Producer)

SeriesParts.com — A master list of parts, part suppliers (our gracious hosts included), and repair shops for Series Land Rovers.

How do you lubricate the cable? Mine wiggle some also... I have heard a lot of people saying to lube it but how do you actually do it?

Thanks!

Default Lubing Speedo Cable

If you don't have it fully out and on a bench, the steps would be to remove the dash panel to gain access to the back of the gauge. Unscrew the knurled retainer from the back of the speedo and free up the cable assembly from the back of the gauge. The cable in the center can then be withdrawn from the casing for cleaning.

I used Kerosene to clean the cable and housing, but I did my on the bench so I was able to flush Kerosene through the housing to wash out the 45 year old ick that had built up within. Obviously, don't flush the casing unless it is disconnected from the tranny...

After the cable is cleaned off it can be lubed (with ???, above threads say either light grease or 90wt, I don't know which is correct, but either should do) and threaded back into the casing.

It will likely be fussy getting the square section to feed back into the drive gear at the transmission end. It will take a bit of twist-and-push to get it to seat and may take a several tries to get it. Feeding from the dash-down is way easier than frogging around with the retainer screws at the tranny end, so don't take that end apart unless you need to. You could spend an afternoon trying to put those three little screws back in place...

Roger so if my trans ever goes then I'll worry about it b/c I would rather do it right ( the whole thing) than to just clean the tip.

Thanks for the info!

Only just getting around to actually installing the PRC2065 (SPEEDOMETER CABLE RHD SERIES III) that I ordered from our hosts a few months ago and discovered that it doesn't have the square extension on the end of the cable that actually inserts into the transfer box. I'd assume that I either need the additional part (not sure what it'd be called) or need to remove the one from my old cable and attach it to the new cable. It doesn't seem worn so I'm not worried about reusing it if I can, but how would I do so?

Also, how would the cable have been run originally? The cable I'm replacing was zip-tied to the frame in one spot and then run up under the bonnet next to the exhaust down pipe (where it had been tapping the exhaust and melted the casing, hence the need for replacement as it's binding).
    2002 Discovery II SE

CentreSteer.com — A podcast by, for, and about Land Rover owners. (Panelist & Content Producer)

SeriesParts.com — A master list of parts, part suppliers (our gracious hosts included), and repair shops for Series Land Rovers.

Default Cable Luber

Quote Originally Posted by weatherm View Post
    How do you lubricate the cable? Mine wiggle some also... I have heard a lot of people saying to lube it but how do you actually do it?
    Get yourself a motorcycle cable luber. They work great to force lube down a cable. White lithium grease whatever you like you just need an aerosol lube with one of them straws on the dispenser.

An example of a cable luber
    http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ble-Luber.aspx

Regards
    Walker
    1968 Series IIA-"Ronnie"
    88" SW, 2.25L Petrol, LHD

Quote Originally Posted by morgant View Post
    ...and discovered that it doesn't have the square extension on the end of the cable that actually inserts into the transfer box. I'd assume that I either need the additional part (not sure what it'd be called) or need to remove the one from my old cable and attach it to the new cable
    Or could I have gotten a bad part?
    2002 Discovery II SE