Thread: Rear brake Dragging

Default Rear brake Dragging

I have a 2000 Disco and after driving it yesterday noticed a "hot brake smell" from one of my rear brakes. It was hot and the rim hot to the touch! For comparison the other side had no smell and not all that hot.

I put new rotors and pad's on a few months ago and wondering if I missed a step in the process. The caliper looked fine at the time and was resistalled.

What might be the cause of this? Should I have lubed the guide pins ?

Once I get it apart later is there a likely repair or am I into a new caliper?

Thanks in advance.

JC

Guide pins are what I find the culprit every time. As you probably figured out a stuck guide pin will ususall cause one caliper to wear. Also, not sure how your e-brake is configured, but I have seen cables freeze up too when not used for a while, causing the pads to remain engaged.

Fixed!

Lesson learned - check the guide pins when renewing the brakes!! One of the two siezed.

Back on the road now.

JC