Thread: 2007 Defender

thumb-up 2007 Defender

Here is the new info on the new defender, look at the dash! and the new ford sourced 2.4 CRD. WOW, i gotta go back to africa so i can get me one of these!

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/08/22/2...nder-unveiled/

Hopefully i am not the only one who has stumbled on this info this late in the game.

o well

hey, thanks for the pics.nice.
    wondering about the usa market..probably a big NO..

Most likely not, someone at Ford most likely thinks that they wouldn't make any money by modifying it to US safety and emissions since they can sell it to the rest of the world as it is.

Shame, i think people would go nuts for a sturdy SUV that gets 30ish mpg with the diesel, assuming it gets as good mpg as the tdi's and td5.

O well, im planning on going back to Africa in the near future so i will hopefully be getting one.

Later
    Richard

I was wondering if I purchased a 07 D90 in Costa Rica (left hand drive) what would it take to get it legalized in the states. I have heard you can import one vehicle in your lifetime that doesn;t meet US standards? Is that true or just an urban myth?

Josh 95 D90 99 RR 4.6HSE

Quote Originally Posted by benderjoshua
    I was wondering if I purchased a 07 D90 in Costa Rica (left hand drive) what would it take to get it legalized in the states. I have heard you can import one vehicle in your lifetime that doesn;t meet US standards? Is that true or just an urban myth?

Josh 95 D90 99 RR 4.6HSE
    Urban myth bro, for the most part anyways. When i imported my 77 i had to do a lot of research to get it right. Basically you can do it a couple of ways. It has to be 25 years old or older for the EPA and NHTSA (safety); be the same year that the same vehicle was imported into the US, i.e. a 1994 D110. But then it has to be taken to a Commercial Importer who will then retro fit it for US standard emissions and safety. You can have one modified and then tested, which will require a crash test so you need to have 2 of them.

I was originally going to buy a 110, or a Stage 1 V8 when i was in Africa but found out what a pain in the ass it is to get it in. Now there are apparently a few loop holes, such as titleing a newer Land Rover as an older "modified" series. Which seems to be nothing more than putting a new chassis and engine # plate on the vehicle. I know that there are a few companies that get around it this way, or like ECR, build it from scratch. Either way, if you have the cash and want it badly enough i am sure you can get something like it, but i doubt an 07.

Good Luck!

thanks for the advise. Dreams are what make life tolerable!
    Josh