Thread: Lucas 45D Distributor O-Ring

Default Lucas 45D Distributor O-Ring

Just in case anyone else has run into this issue:
    The Lucas 45D distributor is sealed with an o-ring where it enters the engine. I contacted our hosts, who couldn't find a listing on the o-ring and told me that the cork seal would work (which it doesn't). A standard 2-021 o-ring seems to fit, but the cross-section is .070" and doesn't provide enough compression to seal properly. I ended up purchasing a pack of 50 Buna-N o-rings in the correct metric size (M2 x 23.5, .079" cross-section) to fit the 45D distributor.

If anyone needs an o-ring and would like to make a small donation, pm me. I have a few to spare.

I had the same trouble with my Lucas 25D distributor.

RN sold me the cork gasket, but it does not fit. Looks like an O-ring should go into the groove at the top of the distributor shaft housing (where it plugs into the triangular piece).

Anybody know the real story on this?

There is definitely supposed to be an o-ring in that groove. The 25D and 45D should use the same o-ring.
    Check out:
    http://www.somerford-mini.co.uk/pdfs...ter-Models.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by jac04 View Post
    If anyone needs an o-ring and would like to make a small donation, pm me. I have a few to spare.
    I wonder if Bostonian1976 (Jason) would be interested, since oil squirts out of his distributor shaft hole and gets all over his engine bay? Perhaps this (non-listed) missing o-ring was his problem all along...
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Sure enough, your diagram shows the o-ring.

The round cork ring (RN part #52278) does seem to drop into the hole in the triangle housing. I wonder if both the rubber and the cork together are how it was designed to be?

^ No, because the distributor that uses the cork seal has a recess for the cork seal to sit in. The 45D doesn't have this recess, so the dist will sit too high if the cork seal is installed.

Quote Originally Posted by jac04 View Post
    Just in case anyone else has run into this issue:
    The Lucas 45D distributor is sealed with an o-ring where it enters the engine. I contacted our hosts, who couldn't find a listing on the o-ring and told me that the cork seal would work (which it doesn't). A standard 2-021 o-ring seems to fit, but the cross-section is .070" and doesn't provide enough compression to seal properly. I ended up purchasing a pack of 50 Buna-N o-rings in the correct metric size (M2 x 23.5, .079" cross-section) to fit the 45D distributor.

Reviving an old post. Does anyone have a part number or listing for the proper O ring? I cant seem to find it with the info already posted.

Thankyou
    1963 Series 11A 109, Left hand drive, Koneg PTO winch, ACR 2.8L 5 bearing power plus Engine with weber carb. Truetrac gear driven limited-slip traction rear differential.

Thank you. Now I need to find it locally in the USA so I don't need to sell a kidney for shipping.
    1963 Series 11A 109, Left hand drive, Koneg PTO winch, ACR 2.8L 5 bearing power plus Engine with weber carb. Truetrac gear driven limited-slip traction rear differential.