Thread: Check Engine Light

Default Check Engine Light

Hi Guys,

As you may know, I had the intake gasket replaced on my P38 a week ago. As promised, the mechanics turn off the 'check engine soon' light that appeared when the car overheated. Tonight, it turned back on. (but the temperature remained steady, and the car seems to run fine.)

How do I turn that light off? (and why do you think it might have turned back on?)
    'Maybe the 'Hokey-Pokey' really is what it's all about.'

I would suggest getting an OBDII scanner and reading the codes.. find out what they are before just clearing them. We can't help if we have no idea what the issues are.
    Joey
    97 Disco
    10 MCCSm
    Custom Rover Accessories
    Home of the D2 horn buttons

Quote Originally Posted by Joey4420 View Post
    I would suggest getting an OBDII scanner and reading the codes.. find out what they are before just clearing them. We can't help if we have no idea what the issues are.
    Do you mind suggesting a specific model of scanner? I am a new owner and probably need one of these as well. Thank you!

When it comes to Rovers you have 2 choices in my opinion.

1 = Cheap and it just gives you the codes (about $60 or so)
    2 = spend the money and get the $1500 - $10,000 unit depending on what you want to do.
    Joey
    97 Disco
    10 MCCSm
    Custom Rover Accessories

Default Actron Scanner

I've used the Actron OBD2 scanner with success on both a D1 and P38.

http://tinyurl.com/ndbyw3

Cheers,
    1990 RRC, 3.9L, AUTO "Willow Pond" (Sold)
    1996 D1, 4.0L, AUTO "Lucas"
    1999 RR, 4.0L, AUTO "Belle" (Sold)

Default emissions?

Here's what I found by googling 'turn of the check engine light on a RR'.

http://www.rangerovers.net/repairdet...eckengine.html

It appears that the light basically signals the replacement of the O2 sensor, or some other emissions related problems. Is that accurate? The car seems to drive well since the intake gasket repair. I wonder of the overheating caused some alteration in the O2 sensor?

At any rate, I have to take a 3 hr drive from CT to NJ on Saturday, so I hope it isn't anything more serious than that.

I know I'm definitely not budgeted for buying a scanner, cheap or otherwise. I know when I lived in Nashville, Auto Zone would take a portable scanner out to your car, hook it up and do a diagnostic, for free. Does that sound familiar to anyone now. (it was about 5 years ago).

Donagh
    'Maybe the 'Hokey-Pokey' really is what it's all about.'

Some places will still read your codes for free.... as far as the O2 sensor or emissions that is not the case, the codes could be for just about anything and without the codes you have no idea what the issue may be.
    Joey
    97 Disco
    10 MCCSm
    Custom Rover Accessories