Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Prop shaft balance

look for the alignment marks on that shaft. Landrover was especially picky about some parts matching, that and if any cups look like they've been removed lately then see if all the needles are in there.

Ah, okay, I’ll take a look at that. I went ahead and ordered a new prop shaft, but still waiting for it to arrive. Thank you!

My 1971 shafts had alignment marks about the thickness of a hair on them... Very easy to see under a microscope.
    Owner: James Leach Global Expedition Services.

1995 110 Regular

Ha! The alignment marks weren’t easy to see until I got the prop shaft off and cleaned up. You were spot on jimrr! The slip joint had been put back together out of alignment. Maybe that was the issue. Either way, the new proline shaft from our hosts looks good and definitely doesn’t have as much play.

On another note, while I have the prop shaft off, I’m replacing the rear output oil seal. Anybody know if that can be done without removing the speedo housing? I don’t want to mess with the shims and bearing preload if I don’t have to.

Planning to get it all back together tomorrow morning.

I too have Proline shafts and they run smoother than a baby's bottom. I added one spacer as I have a modest lift on my Series 3. The spacer made sure the splines were properly overlapped. My yoke splines wore out after my run to Greek Peaks last summer and it was due to insufficient yoke insertion onto the splines. Lesson learnt.