Thread: What size are the starter bolts for a 96 Disco?

Default What size are the starter bolts for a 96 Disco?

I need to change the starter on my 1996 Discovery. Can someone tell me the size and type of bolts used to hold the starter in place? What size and type drive should I use to remove them. Thanks

Allen Head. Trying to remember if it's 5/16" or 8 mm? I'll run out to the garage ...
    I used a 5/16".

A 5/16" Allen (hex) socket mounted on a 3/8" socket with the required extensions - my 97 needed about 16" of extension on one of the mounting bolts - worked from the front of the motor mount.

IIRC, the earlier models have easier access.

Unhook the 2 or 3 wires first. One of the wires may be attached by a lug to one of the mounting bolts.

Holding the new starter in place and lining up the holes during the remount was a pain, but don't give up.