Thread: Land Rovers and Lube

thumb-up Land Rovers and Lube

Well here is a subject that will make your Rover happy .

L-U-B-R-I-C-A-T-I-O-N

Yes we as lazy characters seem to forget that our Rover lives on lube. It is a mechanical device and you need to feed it. Not an oil change, diff, tranny etc, but all the other things that need it.

Have you ever put your Rover on a rack(or jack stands) and hit EVERY grease point? If not, get your butt in gear or you will be replacing a ujoint soon, maybe while on the trail head !! I promise you if you will do this quarterly, and every time you ford water, you may never have to replace one.

Have you drained and added the new Rover swivel ball grease to front swivels? Take a section of coat hanger, about 1' long, bend a handle into it, remove the swivel fill plug(square fitting on top of axle swivel-11mm I think) and use it as a gauge. you should get about 1-1.5 inches of goo on your dipstick(let me confirm that unless someone knows for sure). If no Diff oil or Dark Grey/Green stuff on stick, or some rusty sludge, time to service the swivel ball(I wont get into that, If you arent familiar already, let someone service it that knows how and ask If you can watch). This is a source of massive failure(and mega bucks repair) on Rovers.

When was last time you serviced your hub bearings? Never? I can promise you, you have at least one ready to explode from lack of lube. This is a once a year deal for me, maybe more for you, maybe less for you, (but I would do at a minimum every second major service(60K miles). I typically see very dry hubs at this mileage. Get the factory manual
    out or do the same as above, have competent Rover tech do it and watch.

Do you lube your door hinges, locks, door checks, hood latch, hinges, rear door hinges and latch regularly? You should do this 4 times a year. Constant exposure to you washing your car washes away lube and leads to saggy, rusty hinges and locks that crap out when you least expect it. I use any of several spray lubes, WD-40, lithium, etc, just get something on all of 'em. Use the little red extension provided with the can to stick INSIDE the lock cylinders. This will cure 90% of problems with Rover Doors and locks.

Check your throttle cable, kick down cable etc, dont go crazy, just put a little lube on there.

If you find your Diff lock wont work, you own a car previously driven by the arch enemy of all things Rover, the Soccer Mommy. If you where to ask all first time owners of Rovers, how their 4WD system works, 80% would give you a "Deer in headlights look". More than likely, you are the first person to ever engage Diff lock on your transfer case, so if it is stuck, look at the forums, this is one of the most covered repairs on the forum. Use a high quality lube on the shaft, and engage and disengage once a month and your problem will never return.

Finally, add a can of WD40 to your tool box, sometimes it can be a lifesaver!!

Happy trails,
    Jack of Bavaria
    Last edited by JSalyer; 02-08-2007 at 07:38 AM.

The main purpose of lubrication is to reduce friction and wear in bearings or sliding components to prevent premature failure.