Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deer Lake Rally

Default Deer Lake Rally

EVENT: The weekend directly after Thanksgiving, so the 27th, 28th, and 29th I, Forrest Clifton, will be hosting an off-road and parts swap weekend at my house. It will begin on Friday around noon and end on Sunday some time in the afternoon. This year there is an entrance fee of $20 per vehicle, which goes to pay for the gravel, and materials I use to clean up the mess we make on the trails. Many of you came last year and had a good time so spread the word. I would like the events to focus on Rovers but other off roaders are welcome if they check with me.

LOCATION: The event will be held at Deer Lake Scout Reservation. The address is 101 Paper Mill Road Killingworth, CT 06419. The camp is near the middle of the shoreline of Connecticut. It is 20 minutes from New Haven, an hour from Springfield and 2 hours from Boston. It is a 250 acre privately owned area that has trails ranging in difficulty from series stocker friendly to locked f&r on 40's and you still can't quite make it friendly. There is a building I have set a side for us to use, it sleeps 30ish in bunks and has a large room with a kitchen and a small frig. You are also more than welcome to set up a tent. There are outhouses scattered across camp but no showers. Each night the plan is to have a big bonfire and a cookout (bring your own food). There are also hotels in the area, but those that stayed last year had a good time.

PARTS SWAP: We have a few large fields you can set up in; there is no shortage of space. If you need range rover classic parts I will be unloading my stock at very low prices so make sure to ask.

OFF-ROADING: The trail runs will be organized and a trail leader will be assigned. I would like to split the groups up more this year, so if you would like to lead a group contact me, I will have you show up early and take you on a tour of the trail. The trails I have are all a mix of rocks and mud; there is a specific mud pit, rock garden, seesaw, hill climb, and everything in between. The trails are not long, but you reach and obstacle and attack it one at a time and more to the next obstacle as a group, so the event is very spectator friendly.

RULES:
    1) When you arrive you must check in and sign a wavier, this includes anyone riding or driving.
    2) Everyone has different driving styles that we must respect. Allow a person to attempt an obstacle the way they want. You may ask them if they would like a spotter, if it looks like they need assistance; just remember that you can learn from watching other people drive.
    3) I am responsible for cleaning up your ruts so do not make a mess on the trails unless there is one there already.
    4) There is no alcohol allowed on camp, but there are a number of bars in the area.
    5) Pets are allowed but must be leashed at all times.
    6) If you are putting others in danger or acting irresponsibly you will be asked to leave.

SCHEDULE:
    FRIDAY- Noon -Trail leader meeting/ swap meet set up
    2:00 -Trail runs easy, moderate, advanced
    6:00 -Dinner, a stove, oven, and grill will be available to cook with.
    6:30 -Fire
    later -Trail runs or trips into town.

SATURDAY- 10:00 -Everyone meet up/ trail leader meeting/swap meet set up
    10:30 -Trail runs easy, moderate, advanced
    Noon -Lunch, grill and kitchen are available to cook
    1:00 -Trail runs
    6:00 -Dinner, a stove, oven, and grill will be available to cook with.
    6:30 -Fire
    later -Trail runs or trips into town.

SUNDAY- 10:00 -Everyone meet up/ trail leader meeting/swap meet set up
    10:30 -Trail runs easy, moderate, advanced
    Noon -Lunch, grill and kitchen are available to cook
    1:00 -Trail runs
    Later -Any help cleaning up is greatly appreciated.

email - cliftonf@union.edu

If you have any interest in coming to this event or any questions post them up here.

Default Be there

We will be there. Ambulance and Mog. thanks for doing it again. Jim
    1968 battlefield ambulance/camper
    1963 Unimog Radio box
    1995 LWB RR

glad to hear that jim, I am going to cut the rock garden open more so the mog will fit.

Default Perfect

Got the diff locks sorted out. Should be fun.
    1968 battlefield ambulance/camper
    1963 Unimog Radio box
    1995 LWB RR

Anyone else coming, Spread the word for the trail rides, camp out, and parts swap.

The Rally is still happening and the there are more trails this year. I am trying to get an idea of the number of people coming. Try to make it it will be a good time.

Is it OK to just come on Sunday?
    1965 109 2door hardtop (restored years ago)
    1971 88 (restored and as new)
    1967 88 (the next project)

absolutely, just stop by when you can, the schedule is just a basic plan, I am sure we won't be sticking to it.

Great, I will try to stop by on Sunday with 2 other Rover owners.
    1965 109 2door hardtop (restored years ago)
    1971 88 (restored and as new)
    1967 88 (the next project)