Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: prepping and re-painting a hard top

Zinc chromate primer for bare alli. The industrial stuff from Napa. You can get it in a spray bomb and it goes on so you can still see through the finish- it chemically keyes into the aluminuuim. I then Sprayed on a layer of 3M Ultra-Schutz to cover up all the dings and scratches. The top coat was a limestone marine industrial enamel put on with. That stuff is tough as nails and has not scratched off while brushing with small tees and shrubbery.

You can't get any more outdoor DIY than this.

There's no good reason to screw around with epoxies if the existing base coat is intact and not delaminating. I'm taking into account that someone with no or little auto painting experience is contemplating this job. If there are areas of bare aluminum, then use an etch and prime. If there is a need to use body filler, then do so and spot pime with an apropriate primer. Keep it simple.
    94 D-90 tdi
    72 Series III

Got started today cleaning and prepping...but then the truck died on me. I think it knows when I'm contemplating something cosmetic and reacts violently

Perhaps it's allergic to epoxy primer.....

Nick
    You will definitely need to use a primer(either sealer or epoxy depending on the surface condition) before you put a color coat on. Email/call me today and I will give you the correct facts on how to proceede.
    1965 109 2door hardtop (restored years ago)
    1971 88 (restored and as new)
    1967 88 (the next project)

Nick,

If you're gonna buy paint, and put in the time, then you really need to pay attention to the prep side of things. 95% of the job is in the prep. If you don't do it right, you won't be happy with it. Sounds like Bertha has you covered, so I won't preach.

The only thing I'll add is this. If you go with an epoxy primer (which is a great choice on bare aluminum), and a 2K paint then you need to consider buying a respirator, and covering up when you mix and spray. Someone above mentioned isocyanates. Read up on them. Anyone telling you that anything less than positive pressure air fed respirator will work doesn't know what they're talking about. You can buy a hobby air for $500 or so nowadays.

Unless you just want to do it yourself, you might consider a local paint shop. It would cheaper for you in the end.
    Travis
    '66 IIa 88

might start calling for quotes from a shop... but again, all that's on hold
    The truck does not like to be pampered and reacts accordingly to idea of being painted.

I thought if I could brush or rent a sprayer and get something that looked half decent than it would be worth it. But we we start talking about health risks and epoxy paints then maybe a pro job is the way to go.

Although the idea of building a spray booth does seem kinda fun....

Just rattle can it. Rustoleum almond gloss. Did my old truck like this and it still looks good. Total cost ~ $20 and one afternoon.

74 SIII
    96 Disco SE-7 5 Spd.

Galen 216,

Since you brought up rustoleum, I've sprayed a truck or two with the gallon sized rustoleum with an HVLP. It was pretty easy to spray, and turned out pretty good. Took FOREVER to dry though.

Nick, that might be a cheaper, safer option for you. You can use a regular canister type respirator (home depot/lowes) for organic solvents. Ace will custom tint the paint for you.
    Travis
    '66 IIa 88

Could always try that and if the results stink then I'm no worse off than I am now and could take it to a shop...