Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Series 1 owners

Default Series 1 owners

How many series 1 owners are on this forum, living in the colonies? "North America". I'm aware of 4 so far, but that's just because they are members of the Series 1 club. If you drive a S1, what model/color is it?
    Thanks!
    1956 86" S1
    1957 88" S1
    1967 109" SIIA NADA
    2007 LR3

What if you just have a SI but don't drive it?

I have a 1958 SI 107 SW. Years before I got it someone did a poor job of putting a Buick V6 into it. It was originally grey I think but is currently a very faded light green.

Brent
    1958 107 SW - Sold to a better home
    1965 109 SW - nearly running well
    1966 88 SW - running but needing attention
    1969 109 P-UP

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=64cfe23aa2

i have a 1957 ser 1 RHD 2.0 litre all original exept it is red (used to be green) with a khaki/grn soft top and e-hyde seats.....

I put a 2.25 petrol in a '57, 88". Its my daily driver and use it for camping, hunting, and fishing. Its like stepping back in time cruising in the toolies with these rigs.

Sorry Utah, I haven't got the heater close ups for you yet. I haven't forgot.

Land Rover got it right to begin with and they have been screwing it up ever since.

Ike,
    Them's fighting words although I agree will you on anything built by LR after 1971. Please explain.
    Jim

Jim,
    There were a lot of manufacturing efficiencies incorporated into land rovers as the years went by. While some improvements were made, a lot of nice details used on the earlier trucks were deleted from the later ones. Examples:

-preproduction chassis are all galvanized most of the original prototypes still exist while early production examples are scarce (proportionally) because they stopped galvanizing the frames
    -Door frames on all series ones are galvanized, both the door tops and bottoms. Series one doors are normally in wonderful condition while series 2-2a-3 doors are rotten
    -rear crossmembers on series one models are pressed with nice curves that flow towards the edges of the truck and the hitch mounting points are all sleaved with tubing to prevent crushing. The 2-2a,3 rear crossmembers are all simplified and the sleaves are deleted
    -nearly all fittings and parts on a series one are feild serviceable, screws hold most assemblies together and nearly everything can be rebuilt. As you progress forward in time, less of the vehicle is serviceable and more is disposable. The fittings and parts on later trucks are nearly all disposable (you would not rebuild a turn signal unit on a series three)
    -The series one 107 wagon is very modular. You can use a cab on one, remove all of the door tops etc while all of these features were deleted from the 2-2a-3 wagons
    -the doors lift off instead of bolt on like the later trucks
    -the windsheild is meant to be folded down, there are small plugs on the wiper motor wires to disconnect them from the dash when folding down the windshiled
    -there is no fluffy sills, aprons, dangly rear corners or other cosmetic "styling features"

Point made.
    Jim

Leafsprung...just curious. What do you see as improvements as the Series progressed?

-power brakes are nice
    -salsbury and ENV axles are nice
    -hump in the body side makes it more rigid esp on the LWB 3 door models
    -beter visibility in pickup models
    -late SIIA upper door hinges
    -pendent pedals
    -better capping design