Thread: Tire chains

Question Tire chains

Anyone have any advice on buying / using tire chains for an '04 Disco II SE?

They'll be mostly for on-road use, but would also like to use these for the occasional off-road tromps as well, so heavy duty chains are probably the best bet - any suggestions?

Since we're talking 4wd - should I only be using these on two tires and not four? Which two - front (I assume) or back? I used to put chains on all four tires on my '87 Monte SS - rear wheel drive, but I'm not sure what's best for 4wd. What about the tensioners that I've seen being used so the chain doesn't come off the wheel?

I also have an '08 LR2 that I'm thinking about buying winter chains for as well. Heard this winter is supposed to be a really bad one and my wife is due with our 2nd child in December - definitely do NOT want to deliver a baby in my Rovers!!!

I would say first put chains on the back and if you feel that you need it put them on the front. when chains are on the front they can get caught and rip up a lot of stuff if the chains come loose.

Quote Originally Posted by CliftonRover View Post
    I would say first put chains on the back and if you feel that you need it put them on the front. when chains are on the front they can get caught and rip up a lot of stuff if the chains come loose.
    I respectfully disagree. Chain up the fronts first, then if needed, put a pair on the rears also. If you only chain up the rears, you'll get understeer.

CliftonRover is right on about clearance- make sure your chains fit correctly so they don't damage your vehicle. The best way to do this is test- fit before you really need them. Once you have chains installed, drive a short ways, then tighten. Repeat as necessary.

Good luck!

Paul.
    '08 LR3
    '04 Mini Cooper S

I would check your manual. Rover has some odd ideas on which tires to put the chains on!

I have run them on all 4 tires on my 2000 Disco and did not have any problems.