Thread: Rovers North drive shaft

Default Rovers North drive shaft

Hey there,

I just replaced my front prop shaft on my 04 disco because of some bad vibrations. To save some money the rovers north team said it's ok to go with the $399 d2 shaft instead. It helped the vibrations alot but still have minor vibration at 40mph and over 65mph.

Question:
    could the driveshaft I got from RN be bad or not ballanced? I know there are a list of other things it could be but since it helped to eliminate so much of the vibration, the fact that some is still there makes me keep thing the proximal cause is this front shaft. The only reason I question is beacuse the shaft I got looked remaned and not new. I'm not objected to reman parts but know that sometimes things get over looked in the manufacturing line.

Thanks for the help

tires are balanced

rear shaft rubber donut is fine
    "Out of every one hundred men, ten should not even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back"

The Dsco II front prop shaft PLD665 is NEW. We do not offer reman prop shafts. It is manufactered By GKN who supplies to Land Rover.
    First check to ensure it is installed correctly and in the right direction. Then I would check for excess tolerance in your transfer front out put flange and front diff. This is easily done by grabbing hold of your front prop shaft and pulling up and down on it inspecting for any play. Also check your front tie rod ends for play. Then check your front panhard rod bushes. These can be easily checked by moving the steering wheel left to right while your truck is running. Watch for the whole front end to move left and right instead of just the wheels. Should all these items check out I would suspect that your new prop shaft may be out of balance. Please call for more advice on how to identify the cause of your vibration. Should it appear to be the front prop shaft we will immediately send you another one to replace it. Good luck.
    Mark

Do you hear noise with vibration?

I rebuilt prop shaft with the new bearings because of vibration accompanied with the noise - speed dependant squeaking noise.
    Disco II, 2000, 90K mi, Northern NJ - http://www.mysaab900.com/gallery/Discovery_2000/

Mark:

Thanks. That gives me something else to investigate. Today I got a second opinion at a trans shop here in Portland. They didn't detect anything wrong with the trans. I didn't think so but...Feww

I really don't think the front shaft is bad either. This minor vibration must have been covered up by the more noticable one being caused by the bad one.

well, thanks again
    "Out of every one hundred men, ten should not even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back"